problem with Python 2.5.2 and gcc 4.3

David P. Riedel

Hi

I tried building Python 2.5.2 using gcc 4.3.0. The build completes with no problems but when I run 'make test', I get a
segfault part way through the test run.

here is the last part of the output from make test

test_softspace
test_sort
test_sqlite
test_sqlite skipped -- no sqlite available
test_startfile
test_startfile skipped -- cannot import name startfile
test_str
make: *** [test] Segmentation fault

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks

Dave Riedel

Andrew MacIntyre

David said:
I tried building Python 2.5.2 using gcc 4.3.0. The build completes with no problems but when I run 'make test', I get a
segfault part way through the test run.

here is the last part of the output from make test

test_softspace
test_sort
test_sqlite
test_sqlite skipped -- no sqlite available
test_startfile
test_startfile skipped -- cannot import name startfile
test_str
make: *** [test] Segmentation fault

You don't identify the platform or O/S, though I'd guess some Linux
distro on i386 or x86-64...

If you have gdb available, a backtrace might give a clue.

However, as this is a new major release of gcc I'm automatically going to
assume an optimisation issue. To test this I'd suggest doctoring the
makefile generated by configure to reduce the optimisation level - I'd
suggest trying -O instead of -O3. If that works, try -O2 or -Os.

If -O2 or -Os works, I'd be taking the matter up with the gcc team.

David P. Riedel

Andrew said:
David said:
[...]

You are correct -- Mandriva Linux 2007. I will try varying the optimization level and see what happens.

Thanks