Problem with Refresh button on Frames page

Chris Lieb

I am currently reworking a group of existing web apps to use a common
visual framework/menu. Unfortunately, the web app uses multiple server
technologies (ColdFusion, ASP), so I cannot just use their built-in SSI
functions (cfinclude, #include). To get around this, I decided to use
a frameset that has the common menu in the top frame and the existing
apps in the bottom frame. Since I do not have the time to go through
every page in these apps (all were written by a programmer who no
longer works here), I cannot simply go through and change every single
link so that it updates the URL to point to the page in the content
frame.

Tells menu frame what tab is selected
An exaple URL: index.cfm?select=AdminPreload&source=admin/preload
^
Tells content frame what page to display

This makes the top frame display with the Admin Preload tab selected
and the content frame display the index of admin/preload. When you
start using the app located in that directory, the window.top URL is no
longer updated. Because of this, whenever the browser's refresh button
is pressed, it reloads to the state the last time the window.top URL
was changed. Using the back button works correctly: it goes back to
the last link that I clicked.

Is there a way to get the refresh button to refresh the operation
performed by the last <a href=""> instead of the last time that
window.top had its URL change?

Thanks,
Chris Lieb