Problems going from synthesis to routing

c64

Reaction score
Hi,

I've encountered an odd problem going from synthesis to routing. I am aware that it would be very difficult pinpointing what my problem might be, but I thought I'd air it with you guys, to see if maybe this problem has occured to others. Or if not, perhaps someone has some general pointers to what I could look for when debugging my problem (I'm very new to VHDL design for FPGAs).

My design can be simplified to the following: It is driven by an external 32MHz clock, which is divided down to a 10kHz clock, which runs the rest of the circuit. When a counter reaches a certain value (which is hard-coded), it generates a trigger signal as the output.

The behavioural simulation (in ModelSim) works with no problems. However, after I synthesize the design and map it to my FPGA evaluation board (SiliconBlue), the trigger signal is activated approximately twice as fast as it should. One might think that I did the clock division wrong, but my post-synthesis simulation works as it should. However, when I do the post-routing simulation, the trigger signal is activated according to what I observe from the evaluation board. So something is happening from the synthesis to the routing. The static timing report gives no negative slack.

I'd appreciate any kinds of input.

Thanks!

c64

Reaction score
Hi again,

I thought I'd add some more information to my problem. When I get the static timing report, I do have the following error message regarding constraints issues:

"46 undriven clock endpoints - effects capturing and downstream logic"

My problem is that I don't know what this really means, what the implications are, and how to fix that problem. Since the post-synthesis simulation works as it should, I'm not sure if that error message is the reason, but I figured I should get rid of it, just to make sure.

Any tips of what this error message actually means and how one goes about solving that kind of problems?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Is your 10 KHz clock correct, or is it running twice a fast too? Isolating this to a clock problem or a logic problem is a good start.

What SiliconBlue board are you using?

Ask a Question