Programming forums

JoeC

I am a self taught c++/win32 programmer and I am looking to find cites
or forums that go beyond the basics of C++. I am looking to contact
others where I can learn better programming and design techniques. I
have created some games in C++ and win32 and have had limited success
with Direct X. I do have some experience and have created functioning
programs. Mostly I am interest in improving by design of programs so
they can better interact with win32 interfaces as well as using OO
concepts more effectively. I have read several books and I understand
the theory of OO programming but as with many kind of activities
theory changes when you are dealing with real world problems.

I have made some attempts at creating more complex programs and I
found that my design although logical was cumbersome because I had
several layers of objects. So I would have a grid with spaces and in
those paces I had vectors of objects. Many times it did work but it
became messy and complicated because I had to write several put and
get functions. I could not make it an open structure because the data
to be accessed was in vectors and I would have top ask for cell of the
vectors then pass them through two or three layers of objects. I
realize that these topics are vague and I don't want specific answers
but I am looking for a forum or a cite where I can have discussions on
these programming topics.

michael.goossens

[...]

It seems that what you need is some design patterns(DP). Ok what are
DP's? They are widely used solutions for OO problems, in order to keep
your program clean and easily expendable without going messy or
enforcing you to use some program "hacks".

google for: GRASP patterns and DESIGN PATTERNS, the first group of
patterns are basic issues like which object should be responsible for
keeping that information or which object is responsible for creating
another object. The latter group of patterns are more advanced and
help you to solve issues like: how can I keep a log of all my actions
and support undo actions or how do I get rid of messy boolean
variables for the representation of an objects state.

here you can find the design patterns: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_pattern_(computer_science)
and here the grasp: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRASP_(Object_Oriented_Design)

JoeC

[...]

Thanks, Ill check that stuff out. I know some patterns some are more
of a challenge. I have a problem in that Ill write a program because
I some new technique or that if I have more tools I get more ideas for
programs.