Programming forums

Discussion in 'C++' started by JoeC, Feb 2, 2008.

  1. JoeC

    JoeC Guest

    I am a self taught c++/win32 programmer and I am looking to find cites
    or forums that go beyond the basics of C++. I am looking to contact
    others where I can learn better programming and design techniques. I
    have created some games in C++ and win32 and have had limited success
    with Direct X. I do have some experience and have created functioning
    programs. Mostly I am interest in improving by design of programs so
    they can better interact with win32 interfaces as well as using OO
    concepts more effectively. I have read several books and I understand
    the theory of OO programming but as with many kind of activities
    theory changes when you are dealing with real world problems.

    I have made some attempts at creating more complex programs and I
    found that my design although logical was cumbersome because I had
    several layers of objects. So I would have a grid with spaces and in
    those paces I had vectors of objects. Many times it did work but it
    became messy and complicated because I had to write several put and
    get functions. I could not make it an open structure because the data
    to be accessed was in vectors and I would have top ask for cell of the
    vectors then pass them through two or three layers of objects. I
    realize that these topics are vague and I don't want specific answers
    but I am looking for a forum or a cite where I can have discussions on
    these programming topics.

    JoeC, Feb 2, 2008

  2. It seems that what you need is some design patterns(DP). Ok what are
    DP's? They are widely used solutions for OO problems, in order to keep
    your program clean and easily expendable without going messy or
    enforcing you to use some program "hacks".

    google for: GRASP patterns and DESIGN PATTERNS, the first group of
    patterns are basic issues like which object should be responsible for
    keeping that information or which object is responsible for creating
    another object. The latter group of patterns are more advanced and
    help you to solve issues like: how can I keep a log of all my actions
    and support undo actions or how do I get rid of messy boolean
    variables for the representation of an objects state.

    here you can find the design patterns: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_pattern_(computer_science)
    and here the grasp: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRASP_(Object_Oriented_Design)

    michael.goossens, Feb 2, 2008

  3. JoeC

    JoeC Guest

    Thanks, Ill check that stuff out. I know some patterns some are more
    of a challenge. I have a problem in that Ill write a program because
    I some new technique or that if I have more tools I get more ideas for
    programs.

    JoeC, Feb 3, 2008