Python Behind a Squid Corporate Proxy on Windows

Larry Hale

Greetings, Pythonistas!

My employer has a Squid Proxy between my Python programs and The
Internet.

I've searched high-and-low, and can only find examples online of how
to do basic authentication to connect TO an external Web Server, but
not how to go THROUGH a (corporate) Proxy, thus my question here.
I've tried all sorts of permutations based on my findings, but
(obviously) nothing's working for me. I've come across conflicting
information, including that urllib2 can't/won't do what I'm needing,
though this statement was a couple years old.

I'm running Python 2.5 on Windows XP SP2 64-bit. The Proxy is Squid
(don't know what version, but can find out if this is relevant).

urllib2 grabs the Proxy info fine: 'http': 'http://webfilter.xyz.local:
3128' (.getproxies()). There's the obvious necessity of telling
"something" my ID/pass *somehow*.

An example of one iteration:

######################

import urllib2

proxy_handler = urllib2.ProxyHandler( { "http": "http://
myusername:mad:webfilter.xyz.local:3128" } )
opener = urllib2.build_opener( proxy_handler )

urllib2.install_opener( opener )

response = opener.open( "http://python.org" )

print response

######################

I've tried situations using HTTPPasswordMgrWithDefaultRealm and its
add_password method, also to no avail. (Again, THIS sort of thing
seems related to the -external- Web Server, _not_ going *through* a
Proxy. 'Course, I could be wrong. But if I am, I couldn't get this
to work, either. ;)

I've looked at what's happening with Wireshark; Py/my program/urllib2
makes the initial page request, Proxy replies HTTP Error 407: Proxy
Authentication Required, and Py/my program/urllib2 simply stops at
that, reporting the message/error.

Please forgive me; I've been programming in Python for a few years
now, but never had to deal with Web Proxies. I *have* tried to RTFMs,
but the "documentation" for non-basic stuffs with urllib2 is... uh...
well, I'm sure ye olde pro's know... :)

Cheers, and *any* help would be appreciated!
-Larry

Chris

Err, the line above should be:

proxy_handler = urllib2.ProxyHandler( { "http": "http://
myusername:p[email protected]:3128" } )

(Sorry!  :)

some old code I wrote to download public domain info for our company,
also through a squid proxy and this still works for me

import urllib2, urllib

proxy = urllib2.ProxyHandler({'http': 'http://
username:password@proxy_url:proxy_port'})
auth = urllib2.HTTPBasicAuthHandler()
opener = urllib2.build_opener(proxy, auth, urllib2.HTTPHandler)
urllib2.install_opener(opener)

conn = urllib2.urlopen('http://python.org')
return_str = conn.read()

fp = open('python.html','w').write(return_str)

Larry Hale

Thank you so much for the reply, but alas: I get the same results.
(urllib2 makes the initial request, Squid replies "Error 407: Proxy
Authentication Required", which urllib2 dutifully fails on/raises said
error...)

I do appreciate your time, though! :)
-Larry

Larry Hale

Thank you so much for the reply, but alas: I get the same results.
(urllib2 makes the initial request, Squid replies "Error 407: Proxy
Authentication Required", which urllib2 dutifully fails on/raises said
error...)

I do appreciate your time, though! :)
-Larry

Larry Hale

Thank you so much for the reply, but alas: I get the same results.
(urllib2 makes the initial request, Squid replies "Error 407: Proxy
Authentication Required", which urllib2 dutifully fails on/raises said
error...)

I do appreciate your time, though! :)
-Larry

Danilo

Hi,

do you manage to go through the proxy? I'm having the same problem
with error 407. I've tried many solutions from the web but it always
show the same error. So, if you solved your problem, please, post it
here.

Thanks
Danilo