Python is a gem, you need to keep pushing it ....

Graeme Matthew

Hi all, I just wanted to tell someone :)

I was previously a perl programmer and have been a visual basic frustrated
developer for a number of years, only for the reason that corporates are so
obsessed with using proprietary marketing focused computer languages and not
using true computer science oriented solutions written by computer science
engineers and not a marketing panel. The amount of frustration I have
experienced using visual basic is unbelievable and most of these programs
could have been easily written in python and solved in half the time. I
looked at ruby, it is a beautiful language too but there are still too many
scarce libraries compared to python. Perl, I still like perl but its syntax
requires a photographic memory when coming back to some old code.

I have now taken on a large project outside of work for another company,
initially they, yes wait for it, wanted a VB client / server solution. It
took me lot of hard motivation and they have now totally changed their
focus, a web based python solution it now is ! who said one cannot market
linux, python and mysql ? I hope to have the project completed in 6 months
and I am looking forward to adding it to one of python's success stories.

So the whole point of this email is that if a lot of you are hitting the
same frustration as myself where managers (and people who think Microsoft
invented everything well except a watch you need to recharge every 2 days
:) keep on insisting on developing in the basket case Microsoft Languages
such as VB (I am not mentioning C or C++ as it does not fall into this
bracket) then dont give up, keep up the evangelism, as someday they will
give in .... and let you prove it too them

Cheers

delphiro

Same story here,

My company primarily uses Delphi (Object Pascal) which is actualy a nice development language / IDE but with linux as a rising star and Kylix as a nasty and not-so-friendly-and-platform-indepandent Delphi-clone we have decided to use Python for a number of small projects. As a python addict I really hope this works out! No offence, but I'd rather be using Emacs and Python than the Delphi IDE. It is so much more fun and it runs on Linux *and* Windows (ok and more.. but those are our target OS'es).

We now have a team of 4 Python addicts trying to convince our bosses and the 30+ Delphi developers. I realy hope this works out :)

Regards,
Rob

Thomas Weholt

I've been a hardcore python evangelist for 4-5 years, but in my experience
most developers are conservative when it comes to programming languages.
They tend to stick to what they know and avoid everything else. Especially
coders using compiled languages like Delphi/Pascal. They know some VB or
Perl and laugh when I bring up Python. But don't loose faith.

Thomas

delphiro said:
Same story here,

My company primarily uses Delphi (Object Pascal) which is actualy a nice
development language / IDE but with linux as a rising star and Kylix as a
nasty and not-so-friendly-and-platform-indepandent Delphi-clone we have
decided to use Python for a number of small projects. As a python addict I
really hope this works out! No offence, but I'd rather be using Emacs and
Python than the Delphi IDE. It is so much more fun and it runs on Linux
*and* Windows (ok and more.. but those are our target OS'es).
We now have a team of 4 Python addicts trying to convince our bosses and
the 30+ Delphi developers. I realy hope this works out :)

Mark Carter

same frustration as myself where managers (and people who think Microsoft
invented everything well except a watch you need to recharge every 2 days

"Me too". I am a programmer at a firm of engineers. They're fixated by
all things Microsoft. I try to explain to them that, perhaps, not
*everything* is best done on Excel using VBA. I happened to glance at
a proposal for a large job (for them) that they were bidding for; and
it stated that it was to be based on Microsoft Access. *Groan*. Honest
to God, if it doesn't have coloured cells all over the place, then
they kind of stare at you like rabbits caught in the headlights of an
oncoming car. Attempts to tell them that all this guff is difficult to
put under version control because it's a binary ... you should
separate code from data ... blah blah ... well, I might as well talk
to a brick wall.

Rant over. For now.

Cameron Laird

Same story here,

My company primarily uses Delphi (Object Pascal) which is actualy a nice
development language / IDE but with linux as a rising star and Kylix as
a nasty and not-so-friendly-and-platform-indepandent Delphi-clone we
have decided to use Python for a number of small projects. As a python
.
.
.
How is Kylix "nasty and not-so-friendly"? I
generally think of it as rather polished and
useful.

Graeme Matthew

sorry guys, i was just praising python not trying to cause a theoretical
bitch fight, for my purposes it the best language out there, if you need to
write device driver fine use C ...