Quicken copy time when processing large files

Clement Ow

I just started ruby not too long ago and I'm really new to the language.
But I came out with something; to copy files from path names to path
names using each respecive array elements.

$options=
["2008*", "2008*", "700*", "2008*", "2008*"]

$source=
%w[C:/movtest/testing
C:/movtest/testing/new
U:/movtest/source
U:/movtest/new
U:/movtest/new1]

$dest=
%w[U:/test_1/
U:/dest1/
U:/dest2/
U:/dest3/
U:/dest4/]

while i<=j && i1<=j1 && i2<=j2

Dir.chdir($source)
print "\nSource: " + Dir.getwd + "\t\n"
print "Dest: " + $dest[i1] + "\n"
print "Options: " + $options[i2] +"\n"
FileUtils.cp_r Dir.glob($options[i2]), $dest[i1]
print "File Mov Test:Success"
i+=1
i1+=1
i2+=1
end

Apparently, when moving large files (i.e file size 50mb) it takes
relatively long as when i use ROBOCOPY (a robust copying software by
MSServer), but I cant use robocopy because it has it's limitations,hence
i used ruby. As I will be running the ruby program on a server, I cant
afford to use too much memory while transferring files from one folder
to another as the server is used for more impt tasks like running impt
applications in the office.

So is there anything that i could do to quicken the copying process
without compromising on the ability to have different path names and
options for copying files? (i understand that arrays do take up more
memory)
Thanks in advance. =)