Rails Hosting

Andy Stone

Hello all,

I've recently picked up a side gig I'm planning to write with Rails
and even though I have a spot reserved at TextDrive (haven't had the
time to do anything yet), I was looking at alternative hosting
solutions. I came across a2webhosting.com and it seemed like a good
resource. Like all projects that start out, I'm hoping this project
catches on and TextDrive doesn't seem to offer larger hosting
packages. Anyone have anything good/bad to say about
a2webhosting.com?

I have the choice of whatever language I wish to use and until seeing
a2webhosting I was thinking I would be stuck with PHP. I don't know
either PHP or Ruby/Rails (JSP/JAVA programmer) but have been lurking
on the ruby-talk list for quite a while. Funny thing is that even
though I have yet to write a line of Ruby code, I've read enough of
these message to start thinking in Ruby while I'm coding my JSPs. Of
course, I say to myself "I could easily do this in just a couple of
lines in Ruby".

I would like to use Ruby/Rails as I have already convinced my CTO to
eventually change all of our development over to Ruby. It only took 3
page document touting the benefits of Ruby and how it could help us
and fits in with our future goals.

So, if you have alternatives to a2webhosting, I'd love to hear them.

thanks,
andy

Lyndon Samson

[...]

You mention their name 4 times, are you affiliated? :) Places like
www.servermatrix give you a whole box for around 100USD p/m which is
pretty good value if you don't mind slumming it as an admin!

Fer Martin

------=_Part_6745_25886406.1114617321703

=20
=20
it seemed like a good
--
Into RFID? www.rfidnewsupdate.com <http://www.rfidnewsupdate.com> Simple,= =20
fast, news.

thanks,

FeR

--=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
(e-mail address removed)
+34.646.18.44.14
http://fer-martin.blogspot.com
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

------=_Part_6745_25886406.1114617321703--

Andy Stone

hehe, no. I didn't think I did that...actually went back through and counted.

Admin!?! I don't think so. I try to stay focused on keeping track of
languages and associated tools. I don't have the time to learn how to
do the admin stuff when I'd rather be learning how to write the tools
admins use.

Andy Stone

That would have definitely made this task easier for me. Especially if
it allowed a ratings/comment type system.

Andy Stone

Thanks for the links Robby.

There is a list on the Ruby on Rails site:
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/show/CommercialSupport

There are also blog posts by people that mention companies:
http://vinterstille.dk/ruby-on-rails-hosting-list

there seem to be more companies that provide support for Rails nwo as
well, a simple google search will give you some to choose from.

-Robby

--
/******************************************************
* Robby Russell, Owner.Developer.Geek

Fer Martin

------=_Part_6786_1837101.1114618316263

Then why don't you write a tool to admin this subject (list of servers=20
holding ruby / rubyonrails)? You write it once, and somehow it will stay=20
alive by users contribution.

One of the main problems for rubyonrails young developers is where to use=
=20
the technology they have just learnt. Normally the first thing you do, is=
=20
download everything in your computer and kickoff those recipes and ToDo=20
rails projects. Once you have played enough you would love to start=20
publishing more stuff, and not many will have full access to a server to=20
install ruby+rails ... if you help that step, the technology will get close=
r=20
to the ones that need it.

In any case, this is just a request to whom it might do something about it=
=20

thx and nice day!

FeR

=20
hehe, no. I didn't think I did that...actually went back through and=20
counted.
=20
Admin!?! I don't think so. I try to stay focused on keeping track of
languages and associated tools. I don't have the time to learn how to
do the admin stuff when I'd rather be learning how to write the tools
admins use.
=20
=20

=20
=20

--=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
(e-mail address removed)
+34.646.18.44.14
http://fer-martin.blogspot.com
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

------=_Part_6786_1837101.1114618316263--

Andy Stone

If I only had the time, I would. Right now, the only contributions
I'll be able to make back to the ruby/rails community is to contribute
code back that I'll write in the process of my work. I do however
plan on setting up a blog type site to detail my learning of
ruby/rails and how it differs from the java/jsp setup that i'm
accustomed to. This is mainly to benefit me in those moments when I
remember that i've already done something, but can't remember the
details. I've thought about doing something similar detailing my
experience with apache,tomcat,postgres,mysql,etc... I've lost that
info before and don't want to do that again.

Then why don't you write a tool to admin this subject (list of servers
holding ruby / rubyonrails)? You write it once, and somehow it will stay
alive by users contribution.

One of the main problems for rubyonrails young developers is where to use
the technology they have just learnt. Normally the first thing you do, is
download everything in your computer and kickoff those recipes and ToDo
rails projects. Once you have played enough you would love to start
publishing more stuff, and not many will have full access to a server to
install ruby+rails ... if you help that step, the technology will get closer
to the ones that need it.

In any case, this is just a request to whom it might do something about it

thx and nice day!

FeR

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

--Apple-Mail-4-1020309900

Andy-
If you are going to need a larger host like it seems you are, you
can't go wrong with a dedicated server. I have a dedicated Debian
server with rackforce.com and I have been extremely happy with them.
For $120/month I get a 3.2 Ghz pentium4 with a gig of ram qand its own
dedicated T1 connection that has unlimited monthly bandwidth. You get
root access to your server and you can install anything you want on it.
I got my server there a few months ago and I have moved my 38 client
web sites over already and it is not even loaded down at all yet. Most
of these sites are in php but 5 of them are in rails with
lighttp/fastcgi proxied from the apache front end. The best thing about
this kind of set up is flexibility, I can do anything I want and set up
any software I need at a moments notice. And the price is easy to
justify if you have a few high volume sites or many smaller sites. I
mean right now I am only paying around $3/month for all the sites I
have hosted there and every site I add brings the unit price down.

Just my $0.02
-Ezra
[...]

-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
509-577-7732
(e-mail address removed)

--Apple-Mail-4-1020309900--

Andy Stone

Thanks for the info Ezra! That may be the way go. I was thinking
about growing into that type of setup. I'll just have to crunch some
numbers and see what is the best tact to take.

jeem

Andy said:
I would like to use Ruby/Rails as I have already convinced my CTO to
eventually change all of our development over to Ruby. It only took 3
page document touting the benefits of Ruby and how it could help us
and fits in with our future goals.

Could you come talk to my bosses, please? :)

Jim

vruz

------=_Part_7141_6214916.1114649391132
=20