rails - saving a 1 to many relationship in db

doug.baker

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6329F.2190B9A2

I am trying to save a 1 to many relationship using rails. My parent record
(Event) is saved fine, but the child records (Schedules) do not get
inserted into the db. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Doug

class AdminController < ApplicationController
def save

@event = Event.new
@event.title = "Surfing 101"
@event.description = "Introductory class for beginners."
@event.location = "Sunset Beach"
@event.save

@sch1 = Schedule.new
@sch1.start_time = "8:00am"
@sch1.max_enrollment = 6

@sch2 = Schedule.new
@sch2.start_time = "10:00am"
@sch2.max_enrollment = 4

@schedules = Array.new([@sch1, @sch2])

@event.schedules << @schedules
@event.update

end
end

class Event < ActiveRecord::Base
has_many :schedules
validates_presence_of :title, :description, :location, :active
end
class Schedule < ActiveRecord::Base
belongs_to :events
validates_presence_of :sch_time, :max_enrollment
end

create table events (
id int not null auto_increment,
title varchar(30) not null,
description varchar(200) not null,
location varchar(30) not null,
active boolean default true,
primary key (id)
);

create table schedules (
id int not null auto_increment,
event_id int not null,
start_time varchar(30) not null,
max_enrollment int not null,
constraint fk_event_schedule foreign key (event_id) references
events(id),
primary key (id)
);

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely
for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or if
the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and any attachments.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution, copying, or storage of this message or any
attachments is strictly prohibited.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6329F.2190B9A2--

Timothy Goddard

A large proportion of that is unneccesary. Try:

def save

unless @event = Event.create:)title => "Surfing 101",
:description => "Introductory class for beginners.", :location =>
"Sunset Beach")
... do your error stuff
end

unless @sch1 = @event.create_in_schedules:)start_time =>
"8:00am", :max_enrollment => 6) # A Time object would be better for
start time.
... do your error stuff
end

unless @sch2 = @event.create_in_schedules:)start_time =>