Rapid RIA development

carmelo

Hi everybody,
I need to develop rapidly a RIA (rich internet application), which
must be full-ajax and, possibly, which works with window containers
(movable objects like windows into which is possible to display web
pages). Have you got any suggestion? Any suggested IDE?

Thank you for your help

David Segall

carmelo said:
Hi everybody,
I need to develop rapidly a RIA (rich internet application), which
must be full-ajax and, possibly, which works with window containers
(movable objects like windows into which is possible to display web
pages). Have you got any suggestion? Any suggested IDE?

Netbeans <http://www.netbeans.org/features/web/web-app.html> includes
WYSIWYG designer for JSF pages and ICEFaces Ajax enabled components.
Since you posted in a Java group I'm assuming you want Java as the
server-side language. Otherwise, cf <http://www.asp.net/>.

carmelo

Netbeans <http://www.netbeans.org/features/web/web-app.html> includes
WYSIWYG designer for JSF pages and ICEFaces Ajax enabled components.
Since you posted in a Java group I'm assuming you want Java as the
server-side language. Otherwise, cf <http://www.asp.net/>.

Yes David, I need to develop it in Java. I saw that Netbeans make the
life easier with the WYSIWYG designer for JSF pages and ICEFaces Ajax
components. But I saw that applications made with the ICEFaces
framework don't run on Tomcat, they run on Glassfish. I'd like to
develop a web application which can run on Tomcat...

carmelo

Added to this you could also investigate portlets.

AHS

What do you think about Rialto (Rich Internet Application Toolkit),
which is an ajax-based javascript widgets library ?
I saw that it can be used to develop form based UI... My need is to
develop a form based UI (with draggable windows).

David Segall

carmelo said:
Yes David, I need to develop it in Java. I saw that Netbeans make the
life easier with the WYSIWYG designer for JSF pages and ICEFaces Ajax
components. But I saw that applications made with the ICEFaces
framework don't run on Tomcat,

A Tomcat server supports ICEfaces -
<http://www.icefaces.org/main/ajax-java/platforms.iface>. Indeed, the
cheapest support contract, if you need one, _only_ supports Tomcat
<http://www.icesoft.com/products/ICEfacesDatasheetv1-3.pdf> so I think
you can assume that it is the easiest application server to support.

Arved Sandstrom

carmelo said:
Yes David, I need to develop it in Java. I saw that Netbeans make the
life easier with the WYSIWYG designer for JSF pages and ICEFaces Ajax
components. But I saw that applications made with the ICEFaces
framework don't run on Tomcat, they run on Glassfish. I'd like to
develop a web application which can run on Tomcat...

ICEFaces doesn't care:

http://www.icefaces.org/main/ajax-java/platforms.iface

AHS

Giovanni Azua

Ciao carmelo,

I recommend you to consider MyEclipse IDE plugin
(http://www.myeclipseide.com/) which does a great job in the Web
develop-deploy-test-debug cycle e.g. it allows code changes to load
automatically, it also runs any Web Server embedded in the Eclipse IDE. It
has very nice support for JSP, XML and javascript debugging. They have good
support for JSF and Struts 1.x with many wizards and they were sometime ago
even considering to add support for Struts 2.x as well. Their price is
reasonable and you can get a trial version.

Checkout all features here:
http://www.myeclipseide.com/module-htmlpages-display-pid-1.html

On the down side some of their features are not so good e.g. their UML tool
is very primitive and buggy, so I use JUDE for this purpose.

HTH,
Saluti,
Giovanni

Arne Vajhøj

carmelo said:
I need to develop rapidly a RIA (rich internet application), which
must be full-ajax and, possibly, which works with window containers
(movable objects like windows into which is possible to display web
pages). Have you got any suggestion? Any suggested IDE?

You want a super flashy web GUI developer very rapidly?

That is ambitious!

Your best options within the Java world would be one of:
* a JSF implementation with good AJAX builtin support
* code the client side using GWT

Arne

carmelo

I use JBoss RichFaces and Eclipse (richfaces.org, eclipse.org) which
may do what you want. I use the JBoss Tools Eclipse plugin to edit
RichFaces and other JSF pages.

It sucks that Red Hat requires a login to view the RichFaces demo, which I
frequently refer back to when I need to look up syntax, etc. But I haven't
gotten around to whining at Red Hat yet.

RichFaces seems to be pretty complete, and renders pages quickly.

Thank you Steve.
What do you think about IceFaces using the Netbeans IceFaces plugin?

Cheers
Carmelo

-
http://carmelosaffioti.blogspot.com
-

carmelo

You want a super flashy web GUI developer very rapidly?

That is ambitious!

Your best options within the Java world would be one of:
* a JSF implementation with good AJAX builtin support
* code the client side using GWT

Arne

Thank you Arne for your answer.
What do you think may be a JSF implementation with good AJAX builtin
support?
And what do you think about IceFaces using the Netbeans IceFaces
plugin?

Cheers
Carmelo

-

carmelo said:
Thank you Arne for your answer.
What do you think may be a JSF implementation with good AJAX builtin
support?
And what do you think about IceFaces using the Netbeans IceFaces
plugin?

ADF, ICEFaces, RichFaces or MyFaces (with sister projects)
all has a decent reputation.

I am not sufficient familiar with them to say which one is
best. And even if I were then your priorities may be different
than mine leading to a completely different conclusion.

Be happy that you have so many choices.

Arne