Re: Capture image from webcam in java

Andrew Thompson

Hi
I'm looking for a solution to capture the image from webcam and microphone,
in pure java without any 3-part applications.

By '3-part' do you mean '3rd party'?

For the microphone capture, look to the classes of the
javax.sound.sampled package.

For webcam capture, about the only tech. (supplied by Sun)
that could do it would be the JMF. Unfortunately Sun
abandoned it a long time ago, so it doesn't support a lot
of the latest webcams. If you are looking to support a
known set of webcam types, it might be OK, but I would
expect it is unfit to distribute to end users as a general
solution to access their (random) webcam.

Arved Sandstrom

Andrew said:
By '3-part' do you mean '3rd party'?

For the microphone capture, look to the classes of the
javax.sound.sampled package.

For webcam capture, about the only tech. (supplied by Sun)
that could do it would be the JMF. Unfortunately Sun
abandoned it a long time ago, so it doesn't support a lot
of the latest webcams. If you are looking to support a
known set of webcam types, it might be OK, but I would
expect it is unfit to distribute to end users as a general
solution to access their (random) webcam.

I've tried this guy's stuff out
(http://www.mutong.com/fischer/java/usbcam/) and it worked quite well,
with your qualifications (I had a pretty common baseline Logitech webcam).

For serious stuff along these lines that is easy to configure I use
Motion. But it's not Java...oh well.

AHS