Request for Suggestions on CMS

Guest

I've started researching open-source CMS applications. There seem to be a
number of offerings on sourceforge.net, a few on codeplex (most with no
releases yet) and I also noticed Scott Guthrie has a couple of links on his
blog. So far I've looked at Umbraco (promising) and a few others.

Does anybody have a recommendation about something you are actually using in
production? Obviously, ASP.NET, preferably ASP.NET 2.0, and ideally,
something that can be installed and set up in a hosted environment where you
may not have access to the Server desktop.

Thanks,
Peter

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

One of the easiest to set up is SharePoint Portal Services. It allows for a
variety of "admin" levels and you can set portals on top of portals. The
question is whether either a) the out of the box implementation will work
for you or b) you have developers or development time to customize with
Sharepoint web parts.

If you also need eCommerce ability, the BeerHouse starter kit is an
interesting project (on CodePlex.com). It includes some interestin customer
facign bits, like mailing lists, foums and opinion polls. It is completely
2.0. I have also seen some customizations of the eBay eCommerce starter kit.
While not a true CMS, per se, it has an admin site with the ability to
easily edit the HTML of each page.

Realistically, you have to determine what CMS means to you before you leap.
For some, it is simply being able to manage web content. For others, the
full blown revisioning of other types of documents is what CMS means. Most
of the open source implementations are better at the first than the second.
Have not seen Umbraco, so I cannot comment. :)

Kevin Attard

I also recommend it. It is very user-friendly and you can make a site in
just a few seconds.
DNN also has a number of free modules which are very good.

"Karl Seguin [MVP]" <karl REMOVE @ REMOVE openmymind REMOVEMETOO . ANDME
net> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...

Chris Fulstow

I'd second Umbraco, I haven't used it in production yet, but what I've
seen so far looks excellent.

Mark Rae

"Karl Seguin [MVP]" <karl REMOVE @ REMOVE openmymind REMOVEMETOO . ANDME
net> wrote in message
I'm going to throw out the most obvious: DotNetNuke
(http://www.dotnetnuke.com/)

Used it once..was solid...haven't tried 4.x...looks pretty good.

A word of warning: DotNetNuke has an absolutely awful reputation amongs the
"hard-core" development community. Absolutely full of bugs, almost
impossible to customise any of the actual underlying functionality, no
native C# version etc...

Juan T. Llibre

Peter,

if I were looking for a free CMS app which does ASP.NET 2.0,
and Scott recommends AxCMS ( http://www.axcms.net/ ),
I'd check that one out first.

It would be very unusual for Scott to recommend an app
which might let you down as an ASP.NET programmer.

Chris Fulstow

I think there might be a new improved version out now, but when I
looked at this a few months ago it was a bit clunky and difficult to
install, and most of the error messages were in German!

Juan T. Llibre

re:
most of the error messages were in German

Maybe you didn't install the Language Pack ?
The Language Pack has German, English and Russian in it.

I think there might be a new improved version out now, but when I
looked at this a few months ago it was a bit clunky and difficult to
install, and most of the error messages were in German!

John Timney \(MVP\)

I'm interested in the findings on this, I've looked for a while for one that
doesn't require a database to run, instead using the filesystem and xml for
storage and I've not come across any worth considering, even the database
driven ones - but Umbraco does look interesting. I'm keen to see where this
goes!

--
Regards

John Timney (MVP)
VISIT MY WEBSITE:
http://www.johntimney.com

Guest

The nice thing about Umbraco was that I was actually able to get it working
(sort of) on the first try. But now I'm playing with an ASP.NET 2.0
conversion of SharpNuke (the C# port of DNN). It used an early 1.1 version of
the Membership provider with converted to new one with just a namespace
comment. If I pick back up on Umbraco, I'll post or make sure you get the
info.

It's like anything else, you can spend a lot of time investigating but
sooner or later you have to make a decision and go with it.
Peter

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

niels.hartvig

Hi Peter!

Thanks for paying attention to umbraco!

umbraco v3 (to be released in beta on october 30th) will also use the
membershipprovider in .NET 2.0. Let me know if you have any questions,
either here or by email nh AT umbraco [.] dk.

Cheers,
Niels...

Peter skrev:

Guest