RoR how does scaffold work?

anansi

Hi,
I wanna write a little blog in ruby so I started with creating a
mysql-db with blog_test, blog_development, blog_production. Then I
created a new rails project with "rails blog". I create, in the folder
db, a file create.sql with this content:

drop table if exists entrys;

create table entrys (
id int not null auto_increment,
headline varchar(100) not null,
news text not null,
primary key (id)
);

then I did:
mysql blog_development <db/create.sql
which works without problems. After that I changed /config/database.yml:

development:
adapter: mysql
socket: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
database: blog_development
username: anansi
password:
host: localhost

test:
adapter: mysql
socket: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
database: blog_test
username: anansi
password:
host: localhost

production:
adapter: mysql
socket: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
database: blog_production
username: goldstein
password:
host: localhost

because I needed to update the socketline. But if I wanna now scaffold I
get this error :

ruby script/generate scaffold Entry Admin
exists app/controllers/
exists app/helpers/
exists app/views/admin
exists app/views/layouts/
exists test/functional/
dependency model
exists app/models/
exists test/unit/
exists test/fixtures/
identical app/models/entry.rb
identical test/unit/entry_test.rb
identical test/fixtures/entries.yml
error Before updating scaffolding from new DB schema, try
creating a table for your model (Entry)

Can someone tell me what this means? I called the scaffold Entry which
is correctly named for the mysql handling of rails. Why comes this error
and how can I fix it or go around it?

--
greets

(
)
(
/\ .-"""-. /\
//\\/ ,,, \//\\
|/\| ,;;;;;, |/\|
//\\\;-"""-;///\\
// \/ . \/ \\
(| ,-_| \ | / |_-, |)
//`__\.-.-./__`\\
// /.-(() ())-.\ \\
(\ |) '---' (| /)
` (| |) `
jgs \) (/

one must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a
dancing star

Sammy Larbi

anansi wrote, On 4/30/2007 9:40 AM:
Hi,
I wanna write a little blog in ruby so I started with creating a
mysql-db with blog_test, blog_development, blog_production. Then I
created a new rails project with "rails blog". I create, in the folder
db, a file create.sql with this content:

drop table if exists entrys;

create table entrys (
id int not null auto_increment,
headline varchar(100) not null,
news text not null,
primary key (id)
);

then I did:
mysql blog_development <db/create.sql
which works without problems. After that I changed /config/database.yml:
I think generally, you'll want to use the migrations, as I think that
works some magic on config files which the scaffold command may be
looking for. For more info on migrations, see
http://www.google.com/search?q=ruby+on+rails+migrations

anansi

you know what my error belongs to?

--
greets

(
)
(
/\ .-"""-. /\
//\\/ ,,, \//\\
|/\| ,;;;;;, |/\|
//\\\;-"""-;///\\
// \/ . \/ \\
(| ,-_| \ | / |_-, |)
//`__\.-.-./__`\\
// /.-(() ())-.\ \\
(\ |) '---' (| /)
` (| |) `
jgs \) (/

one must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a
dancing star

Damian

anansi said:
drop table if exists entrys;

create table entrys (
id int not null auto_increment,
headline varchar(100) not null,
news text not null,
primary key (id)
);

Hi!

Rails uses English rules for pluralisation, so the table should be named "entries".
If you're unsure about the form you should use, you can always check from
script/console:=> "entries"

Yours sincerely,
Damian/Three-eyed Fish

anansi

I jackass :) thanks of course this solved my problem

[...]

Is there at all any Rails newsgroup?!?

Giles said:
Now this really is a question for the Rails list, not this list.

--
greets

(
)
(
/\ .-"""-. /\
//\\/ ,,, \//\\
|/\| ,;;;;;, |/\|
//\\\;-"""-;///\\
// \/ . \/ \\
(| ,-_| \ | / |_-, |)
//`__\.-.-./__`\\
// /.-(() ())-.\ \\
(\ |) '---' (| /)
` (| |) `
jgs \) (/

one must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a
dancing star

anansi

what you wanna say with this? there's no info about a rails newsgroup on
this website..

Phillip said:
http://www.rubyonrails.org/community

Just a guess, but checking a project's / software's website usually
yields such information.

--
greets

(
)
(
/\ .-"""-. /\
//\\/ ,,, \//\\
|/\| ,;;;;;, |/\|
//\\\;-"""-;///\\
// \/ . \/ \\
(| ,-_| \ | / |_-, |)
//`__\.-.-./__`\\
// /.-(() ())-.\ \\
(\ |) '---' (| /)
` (| |) `
jgs \) (/

one must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a
dancing star

Sammy Larbi

Anansi,

They are calling it a "mailing list" rather than a "newsgroup" on the
Rails site.

The link for that mailing list/newsgroup is
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk

You probably will get better answers there, as it is focused
specifically for Rails, while this is general Ruby (though, I don't feel
Rails questions are or should be off topic here.)

Regards,

Sam

anansi wrote, On 5/2/2007 7:00 AM:

anansi

lol there's a fucking huge difference between a newsgroup and a
mailinglist ;)

anansi wrote, On 5/3/2007 9:31 AM:
lol there's a fucking huge difference between a newsgroup and a
mailinglist ;)

It seems to work about the same way this one does... I figured you
might get better (or at least a larger variety of) answers from
something like this (Ruby-Talk), but more focused on Rails, like Rails-Talk.

James Britt

Logan said:
Well, since this is a mailing list, and you seem only interested in
newsgroups, please kindly go away.

The Curse of the Mirror!

Is it time for the permathread about mirroring the ruby-talk list to
comp.lang and other places?

No?

Good.

Mariusz Pękala

--MfFXiAuoTsnnDAfZ

Is there at all any Rails newsgroup?!?

For quick questions you may want to look at #rubyonrails IRC channel on
irc.freenode.org.

Very helpful.

--=20
Checked by 'grep -i virus $MESSAGE'