satellite assemblies in ASP.NET 2.0

Adam Calderon

In ASP.NET 2.0 you have the choice of using the built in
App_GlobalResoruces or App_LocalResources style of using resources or
you can use your own resources utilizing satellite assemblies. In the
SDK under "Resources in ASP.NET Applications" the documentation
demonstrates how to use your own satellite assemblies and instructs
you to build a folder structure under the bin folder. Following all of
the correct procedures (taking an resx file and creating a resource
file and then compiling a dll and placing them in the correct folders
with the correct names) the main or neutral resource is found but none
of the satellite assemblies are found. If you look in
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files
for the website you can see that the assemblies under the satellite
folders are not being created. Has anyone ran into this and if so what
did they do. This particualr situation requires the use of satellite
assemblies that are created "old school".

Adam Calderon [MCSD,MCAD,MCP]
http://blogs.interknowlogy.com/adamcalderon

Daniel Fisher\(lennybacon\)

Store the resources in an class library and compile them and add a reference
from your web app to the class library - done.

Adam Calderon

Daniel,
thanks for the response. Your solution will work but it does not lend
itself to to easily adding a directory and resource dll after compile
time which is all you would have to do with satellite assemblies. I
will keep on searching but thanks for the response.

Store the resources in an class library and compile them and add a reference
from your web app to the class library - done.

Adam Calderon
http://blogs.interknowlogy.com/adamcalderon

Garry English

I have found a work around for this issue.

Instead of including the .resource files to the class library project,
I included the .resx files. VS.NET will still compile the .resx to the
binary .resource file and build the satellite assemblies.

It appears that VS.NET 2005 can no longer create satellite assemblies
from .resource files. Bug?