Scan multiple entries using one textbox and return resultset

Mike D

This is a difficult question: I need to be able to input data via
hand-scanner into a web page textbox, but it needs to be done more than once.
The user will scan one card after another and in the end will get results
from the database. I have everything figured out except how to enter the
cards. I can do it for one card but when the page reloads I lose the object
(StringBuilder) and it starts all over. I thought of writing to a text file
but there may be several others doing this at different locations plus I
can't figure out how to clear the list except to delete it and recreate it on
a new page load (!isPostBack).

The whole idea is to be able to scan a multiple number of cards and get data
about the cards back to the user. Can anyone help me out on this?

Mike D

Thanks, but I thought of that however there are many users on different
computers performing this action and that would require a table for each one.

This used to be done in Access 97 but I have been moving it all to SQL and
this is the last of the prcesses that needs to be done.

We have work-cards that state what work needs to be performed and one of
many supervisors will gather up a bunch of cards and scan them. The
resultset will let them know the budget status of the cards.

I was hoping to have the user scan the card into a textbox and have that
data append to a string which I have a SQL UDF that splits it so I can use
it in a query. If I could figure out a way to load these multiple scans into
a string that would solve my problem.

Mike
--
Regards,

Mike D
Coding in C# since Feb 2007

Mike D

Sounds great but we have multi-user accounts (they don't want to give
everyone user accounts) so individuals could scan from several places using
the same account or several people could scan from the same workstation but
different cards. This whole thing is giving me a headache as they are
looking for the same capability they had with the legacy Access 97 database.
I keep telling them it is two different types of processes (web vs
application) but I guess they really don't care.
--
Regards,

Mike D
Coding in C# since Feb 2007

Mark Rae said:
[please don't top-post]
Thanks, but I thought of that however there are many users on different
computers performing this action and that would require a table for each
one.

??? Of course it wouldn't! Just use the currently logged-on user's ID as
part of the table's key...