Sending binary data to client printer via web page.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I hope I posted this to the correct group. If not, please let me know and I
    will get it posted in the correct section.

    I have a web application developed in ASP.NET using C# for the code behind.
    I need to be able to print shipping labels from a web page within this
    application. The shipping label data is pulled from a 3rd party application
    and comes in binary format specific for certain brands of label printers. I
    have a class library written (in C#) to handle sending the raw data directly
    to a selected printer that is compiled into a seperate dll. I am in need of a
    way to be able to instantiate an object from this class library and call a
    method that will send the raw data to the client's printer. My assumption was
    that I would be able to accomplish this via an ActiveX approach and in some
    way or form package the dll up so that it would get delivered client side and
    then have access to the printer port, but I am having a heck of a time trying
    to track down any info/articles on how to do this.

    Basically, the procedure needs to go as follows:

    1. Client fills out a form for shipment information and clicks a submit
    button.
    2. Code behind handles the click event, transmitting the label request to a
    3rd party and receiving back the binary data for the label, then sending that
    binary data directly to a selected printer (by calling a static method in the
    class library dll that handles the delivery to the printer).

    If someone could just point me in the right direction of where to find info
    on how to accomplish this it would be most appriciated!

    Guest, Feb 8, 2006

  2. Hi,

    Thanks for posting!

    Based on my understanding, the current issue is that the ActiveX control
    handles the data from the ASP.NET and sends it to the client printer. If I
    have anything misunderstanding, please let me know.

    From your description, the data submitted from the client can be deal with
    the ASP.NET application. After the manipulation, we can use the
    Response.BinaryWrite method to send the binary data to the client. Then, we
    use the ActiveX control to print.
    could print the pdf file directly."
    As far as I know, this is a common way to implement the current
    requirement. There are many samples from third party. Please reference
    these.

    Thanks for your understanding!

    Regards,

    Yuan Ren [MSFT]
    Microsoft Online Support

    Yuan Ren[MSFT], Feb 8, 2006

    Guest Guest

    Currently I do not have an ActiveX control implemented to push the data to
    the client's printer. That is the component I am looking to build. I need to
    be able to send the binary data directly to the printer, I can't reconstruct
    it into a different format (like a pdf). I have a Windows Forms application
    that also handles the label printing but of course that app has access to the
    client's hardware. What I am in need of is a web based version of this.

    I will take a look at the Response.BinaryWrite method and see if using that
    and calling the window.print will work for me. Will a call to print this
    actually get the binary data to the printer or will it just print a full page
    with the binary data in text form? Also, if someone could please post some
    links to articles on how I would go about creating an ActiveX solution using
    C# and ASP.NET that would be much appriciated. My assumption is that my class
    library that communicates and sends the data to the printer would have to run

    Guest, Feb 8, 2006
  4. Print to pdf:

    http://www.hellobasic.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?board=dotnet;action=display;num=1134897582

    Edwin Knoppert, Feb 9, 2006
  5. Hi,

    Thanks for your reply!
    will it just print a full page with the binary data in text form?"

    As far as I know, it will print a full page with the binary data.
    about creating an ActiveX solution using C# and ASP.NET that would be much
    appriciated."

    I think the ActiveX is only created by the unmanaged code. If you need this
    control, I think there are many articles or solutions from third party.
    Otherwise, you can post a new thread to the related newsgroup to get more
    information. Thanks for your understanding!

    Regards,

    Yuan Ren [MSFT]
    Microsoft Online Support

    Yuan Ren[MSFT], Feb 13, 2006