Session Timeouts

GaryDean

I have developed an asp.net 2.0 app on my instance of server2003 and have
set IIS to timout in 40 minutes (asp.net|configuration) and it works just
fine - the app won't timeout until 40 minutes of inactivity passes.

However when deployed to a production server2003 machine with the very same
IIS settings, the app times out in 20 minutes. I have no specific timeout
statement either in code or web.config.

Any ideas?

Masudur

I have developed an asp.net 2.0 app on my instance of server2003 and have
set IIS to timout in 40 minutes (asp.net|configuration) and it works just
fine - the app won't timeout until 40 minutes of inactivity passes.

However when deployed to a production server2003 machine with the very same
IIS settings, the app times out in 20 minutes. I have no specific timeout
statement either in code or web.config.

Any ideas?

Hi Gary...

20 min is a default timeout period...
please add timeout configuration in web.config and set it to 40 min...
if this problem still remains please check your machine.config
file....

Thanks
Masudur

GaryDean

I guess I failed to say that I have tried all of the obvious solutions, some
of which, you suggest.

Guest

I guess I failed to say that I have tried all of the obvious solutions, some
of which, you suggest.

So, did you tried to set timeout in the web.config file?

<sessionState mode="InProc"
cookieless="true"
timeout="40"/>

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Gary,

This issue does look strange, if you're pretty sure that the obvious
web.config settings and IIS settings are correctly configured:

1) web.config, see Alexey's suggestion.

2) IIS: virtual directory properties -> (Directory) Configuration ->
(Options) "Session timeout".

Maybe we're lack of some context or background information, would you
please depict more on the other configuration settings your web site
having? Thanks.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

GaryDean

Walter,
Is there some reason cookieless="true" has to be coupled with the timeout
setting?

BTW, are there any downsides to cookieless sessions other than having the
sessionID in the url?

GaryDean

also, this is a little strange...
if iis is set to 20 and my web.config says timeout="40" at 22 minutes of no
activity the user does not get the login screen, the session variables are
just null.