Set focus on the field (Form validation in ASP.NET)

bienwell

Hi,

I have a problem and really need your help. In my web page ASPX, I have
some text fields to accept data from users. I did form validation like this
:

<asp:TextBox id="txtFUEL_ISSUED1" style="Z-INDEX: 100; POSITION: absolute"
runat="server" Width="107px" BorderColor="Transparent"
autoPostback="true"
OnTextChanged="txtFUEL_ISSUED1_TextChanged"></asp:TextBox>

<asp:CompareValidator id="CompareValidator1"
runat="server" Width="90px" ControlToValidate="txtFUEL_ISSUED1"
ForeColor="LightCoral" ErrorMessage="Please enter a number!"
Operator="DataTypeCheck" Type="Double"></asp:CompareValidator>

In the txtFUEL_ISSUED1_TextChanged, I checked if data on this field is valid
or not. If it's valid then I add this value in the TOTAL field. I'd to to
set focus on the next field when this data IS VALID, OR focus on this field
when data IS NOT valid . Can you help me ? Thanks in advance

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

I suggest you upgrade to ASP.NET 2.0, which has new features that satisfy
all your requests.

bienwell

Steve,

I have some questions:

1- There are some versions ASP.NET 2.0 from the www.asp.net web site :
a- .NET Framework 2.0 SDK x86,
b- .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)
c- .NET Framework 2.0 SDK x64
d- .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package x64 (64
Bit)
e- .NET Framework 2.0 SDK IA64
f- .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package IA64
(64 Bit)

Which one do you suggest me to download ?

2- After downloading, do you think this code will work OR I should
change something ?

Sub txtFUEL_ISSUED1_TextChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
Dim strScript As String = "<script language=JavaScript>"

If IsNumeric(txtFUEL_ISSUED1.text) OR
txtFUEL_ISSUED1.text="" Then
Dim aValue as double=0.0
If IsNumeric(txtFUEL_ISSUED1.text) Then
aValue=CDBL(txtFUEL_ISSUED1.Text)
End If

' ADD the value to the TOTAL field
ViewState("FUEL_ISSUED_Total") =
ViewState("FUEL_ISSUED_Total") + aValue - ViewState("FUEL_ISSUED1")
txtFUEL_ISSUED_Total.text=FormatNumber(ViewState("FUEL_ISSUED_Total"),
2, , ,TriState.True)
ViewState("FUEL_ISSUED1") = aValue

strScript = strScript &
"document.form1.txtFUEL_ISSUED2.focus();" 'FOCUS on the next field

Else 'FOCUS on the current field
strScript = strScript &
"document.form1.txtFUEL_ISSUED1.focus();"
End If

strScript = strScript & "<" & "/script>"
If (Not Page.IsStartupScriptRegistered("clientScript")) Then
Page.RegisterStartupScript("clientScript", strScript)
End If

End Sub

Juan T. Llibre

If you have a 32-bit machine ( a standard Intel or AMD )...

If you want the very minimum necessary to run ASP.NET 2.0,
get .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)

If you want the QuickStart Tutorials, extra tools *and* ASP.NET 2.0,
get .NET Framework 2.0 SDK x86

If you have a 64-bit machine, your choice may vary depending on the cpu.

The code you posted should run on any of the 5 choices.