Should this code force a refresh of my asp.net page?

COHENMARVIN

I have a button in my asp.net page (actually its in a user control
with a .ASCX suffix) called btnGetData. I'm trying to make it force a
refresh of my page. So what I did was make it call javascript.
Should the following work? (It doesn't seem to)

Protected Sub btnGetData_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles btnGetData.Click
LoadGridView()
ForcePageRefresh()
End Sub

Sub ForcePageRefresh()
Dim popupScript As String
Dim instance As ClientScriptManager

instance = Page.ClientScript
popupScript = "<script language='JavaScript'>"
popupScript = popupScript & "
window.location.reload( true );"
popupScript = popupScript & "</script>"
instance.RegisterStartupScript(GetType(String), "PopupScript",
popupScript)
End Sub

bruce barker

have no idea why on a postback, your code would render a command to request
the same page again to get the html, instead of returning the correct html
(sloppy coding I guess). you can just use Response.Redirect, no need for
javascript.

for either approach to work you shoudl decorate the url (add a dummay
parameter) to force a fresh copy rather than using a cached copy.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Stan

[...]

Hi

I am intrigued as to why you want to do this. Could it be that you are
trying to trigger execution of code on the host page when a User
Control button is clicked?

Niraj Ranka

Can you give the reason why u want to reload the same (loading) page again n
again ?

COHENMARVIN

I have a button in my asp.net page (actually its in a user control
Hi
I am intrigued as to why you want to do this. Could it be that you are
trying to trigger execution of code on the host page when a User
Control button is clicked?

The reason I wanted to force a refresh was that I noticed my gridview
was only showing up when the page was refreshed. It wasn't enough to
set its parameters and then do a 'databind' - the gridview would only
appear on a postback. I really don't understand why this is the case,
and even when I stepped through with the debugger everything seemed in
order - but the gridview would not appear. So I decided to cheat, and
force a refresh.
The page does use AJAX, and perhaps that has some bug that causes the
problem.
-- Marvin