silly question - simply pop up a message

James

Hello,

have not touched asp.net in a while and really only have done a little with
it a few years ago... I'm starting a project now and of course can't seem to
remember the simplest things... I need to just popup a message, like
msgbox("kjdkfjdjf") in good old client side vbscript... I'm using c#. Just
looking to use the most basic of debugging method... popup a message so I
know the right code is running! hehe.

James

yes, vbscript's msgbox does the same as javascript's alert.... I'll try
that. Thanks for the reply!

James

thanks for the reply Mark. Yes I know... I really should get in the habit of
using the provided debugging tools.. I'm just very used to very quickly
popping in a message box to see that I'm in a particular procedure or what
the value of a particular variable is at that particular time... quick and
dirty, yes, but also effective. I think I will take your advice though and
start using the provided tools.

thanks for the reply.

sloan

I agree with Mark,

Its not 1999 or 2000 anymore.

javascript:alert

Get rid of the msgbox stuff and IE specific syntax.

James

thanks all for the good info... It is good the community is helpful and
steers people in the right direction. I do just want to add a little more
info to clarify my situation though so I don't look like I'm coming from
1999 hehe.

I'm wrapping up a project where there was a pretty elaborate GUI to a system
that was largely made up of many WSH scripts... this was more in the world
of system administration and not web design/programming. Its an HTA
(hypertext application) which uses mshta.exe, which is basically IE, to run
a GUI front-end to these scripts. So the msgbox pop up messages I was
refering to being used to using were from this... vbscript was just fine for
this project.

Now I have shifted gears and started work on web app (first one if a couple
years). And 'response.write' is what I was really looking for... I didn't
ask the question very well. :)

thanks again.

sloan said:
I agree with Mark,

Its not 1999 or 2000 anymore.

javascript:alert

Get rid of the msgbox stuff and IE specific syntax.

sloan

I agree with Mark.

Using Response.Write in an asp.net application is a backwards step to asp,
99% of the time.

And what you're describing is not in the 1% category.