Simple Program Laucher Which Runs Off Of Cd

javaBeginner

I need to create a simple program launcher which runs off of cd and
launches
a program off of the cd. It must also check the values in an ini
file.
The launcher program must run on all versions of Windows.

I have read that C++ and Delphi are the only two languages which could
reliably accomplish this task. I have tried Delphi and it worked well
but my employer does not want to pay Borland's license fee.

I know nothing about C++ but I am familiar with Java.

Does anyone have sample C++ code which shows how to create a single
windows form with buttons on it? I also need sample code for
launching applications and for reading an ini file.

Does anyone know of any IDEs (besides Borland C++) or languages which
could help me accomplish this task?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Howard

javaBeginner said:
I have read that C++ and Delphi are the only two languages which could
reliably accomplish this task. I have tried Delphi and it worked well
but my employer does not want to pay Borland's license fee.

What Borland license fee? If you've paid for the Delphi compiler (any
version except the free one), then you don't have to pay Borland anything to
be able sell your product, as long as you aren't distributing their source
code or any license-restricted server technologies (like MIDAS used to be).
You might want to check that license agreement again.

-Howard

Michiel Salters

I need to create a simple program launcher which runs off of cd and
launches a program off of the cd. It must also check the values
in an ini file. The launcher program must run on all versions of Windows.

That's going to be hard, the 16-bit versions of Windows work quite
differently. You need a really old Windows 3.11 vintage compiler.
It's a lot easier if you restrict youself to Win32 (ie Win95 and later)
I have read that C++ and Delphi are the only two languages which could
reliably accomplish this task. I have tried Delphi and it worked well
but my employer does not want to pay Borland's license fee.

Give up. Any other language is going to be as expensive, C++ included,
once development costs are included. Even a day's worth of salary is
likely to cost more.
Does anyone have sample C++ code which shows how to create a single
windows form with buttons on it? I also need sample code for
launching applications and for reading an ini file.

C++ isn't where your problem is. Any book on Borland C++ explains
how to do it with Borland, any Visual C++ book explains how to do
this with Microsoft. It's not possible in standard C++, although
a simple text interface would be possible. In that case any
standard C++ book (ie without "Borland" or "Visual" or other brand
in its name) should do. See the booklist @ www.accu.org for ratings.
Does anyone know of any IDEs (besides Borland C++) or languages which
could help me accomplish this task?

A large number. It's a fairly easy task in most C++ variants, there
is just no Standard for GUIs in C++. This group can't help you there
- check vendors' groups for that.

Regards,