Simple question ??

serge calderara

dear all,

I am a beginer in web services and would like to get your advise and comments.
First of all I have heard that the use of web services is to make heterogen
system to collaborate each other within a standard way.

Now if you know the platform you are going to deploy your application and
data as they will be located in my case under IIS and access through
browsers, how to know if I should provide web service function or not ?

For instance I build a web application which send querrie to an SQL server
database and will receive in return a result dataset. In that cas I could
have a class which handle the connection to the server, execute the store
procedure which return the corresponding data.

This functionnality could be implemented in a web service, but what will be
the benefits or drawback ?

if not what is the question I should ask myself to go or not go to web
services

thanks for your precious comments
regards
serge

CESAR DE LA TORRE [MVP]

In your scenario (a simple Web-App accessing to a DataBase) I would never use
XML-WebServices. (Almost never...).
WebServices are for inter-communication with different
Services/Applications. Also for Presentation-Tier accesing Business-Tier
objects BUT just if your Presentation-Tier is based on WinForms or
Office-VSTO. If you have just a single Web Application (for instance
developed with ASP.NET), your architecture should be like the following (if
you want best performance and scalability):

Presentation Tier ASP.NET/IIS --- Access throuh plain CLR ----> Business
Objects Assemblies within same server --- Access to ---> DataBase

An ASP.NET Web-App could also access a WebService (using HTTP/other
protocol-SOAP-XML) only if that WebService is really a different
Service/Application.

Take into account that WebServices are intented for remote WebMethods
execution, so, it does not make sense to do it within the same SERVER...
You'll have a lot of overhead and LATENCY which you can get rid of it if you
can just call your assemblies based on theCLR (within the same server, of
course). Then, Thouse Business and Data-Access assemblies/objects, will call
to your DataBAse like SQL Server.

If you have several Services/Applications which are independent but you want
to communicate with eachother, then is when WebServices make sense (SOA
Architecture). And then, each SOA Service (with WebServices as Façade) would
be internally like your application (Business Objects, access to DataBase,
etc., exactly the same, but INTERNALLY).
Make sense?
--
CESAR DE LA TORRE
Software Architect

serge calderara

Thanks for your reply.

But still a thing, what do you mean by web service is for different
applicaion/service
What different means here ?

My web application running on q dedicated customer server could be access
from everywhere throuh intranet/internet. I have got the idea to place common
function on web services becasue of web application, but seems its totally
wrong.

As you saif web service is for remote methode, so for me when I access to my
web application from an other client PC, sounds like remote no ?

thnaks for your clarification
regards

serge calderara said:
[...]

May be I didn't explain properly, sorry.
About your first question/explanation, sorry, I don't mean "different", I
mean that WebServices are for several Services/Apps, for inter-communicate
those Services. This is the base. BUT also, there is another right scenario
(which I already said). If your Application Presentation Tier is based on
WinForms (Windows App. Forms) or based on Office-VSTO, then, your Application
Presentation tier is situated remotely from your Business Objects Server,
therefore, you need to access remotely (Then you could use WebServices or
..NET Remoting, but .NET Remoting is gonna be parked away (supported for
years, but 'parked away') by Microsoft. INDIGO will not be based on .NET
Remoting, it is based on enhanced WebServices. ).

About your second question:
"My web application running on q dedicated customer server could be access
from everywhere throuh intranet/internet. I have got the idea to place common
function on web services becasue of web application, but seems its totally
wrong.".
This is right, you are not wrong. You can use just assemblies (CLR) within
your ASP.NET app, BUT, if you are planning to place common functionality for
many Services/Apps, then, it is right to use a SINGLE-COMMUNICATION-BUS (like
SOA philosophy) based on WebServices. BUT JUST for this COMMON FUNCTIONALITY
(Web Service App.Façade). Not for every functionality. Right?

About your third question: "As you said web service is for remote methode,
so for me when I access to my web application from an other client PC, sounds
like remote no ?".
I already anwsered. In this scenario, you are talking about remote
App.Presentation Tier (based on remote PCs with a WinForms or Office-VSTO
App.Presentation-Tier). In this case, of course, it is right to use
WebServices. More over, I would use WebServices. :)

I hope it is clearer now.
--

serge calderara said:
[...]

Hi, its getteing better and better bit still a thing.

What do you mean by WinForm application, ? I understand it as standard
Windows application right ?
In that cas a standard windows application can access a web service ?

When I am talking about common fuction for my application is as follow :
First of all all client will access to my web application with Browsers and
application web application will be all done using ASP.NET. The presenatation
tier as you said is pure aspx pages. What I was planning to place as a common
service functions to be inside a web service woudl be :
- Connection to the SQL server database
- Run the given querry as parameter and return results in dataset
- Run table update if need

Thats all what I was planning for my Web Service, but my presentation tier
will be pure ASP pages. Could it be done like thsi or not ?

Buisness logic could be then in a separate CLR assembly,

By the way, is there a good link which explain clearly this?

regards & thanks for your time
serge

:

[...]

Take a look of the following URL, where you can find a working sample of a
Tool Tool for Manual Posting of SOAP Messages to WSE 2.0 SOAP Services:

http://www.softwaremaker.net/blog/CommentView,guid,7deab38b-92af-446b-b7d8-6aa901007130.aspx

http://www.softwaremaker.net/blog/PermaLink,guid,315afe18-1b3a-41ca-93b4-d0c2262331fb.aspx