SMS options for 1 recipient?

JJ

I have the need to notify myself of certain website events via an SMS to my
mobile phone.

I have never done this but presume I need an SMS gateway to send my
XML/message to in order to get it onto the mobile network?

Can anyone recommend a (free would be nice, but I doubt this is
possible...!) service or method I can use? I am in the UK and I only want to
send SMS to one mobile phone.

Thanks,

JJ

Mark Rae

Can anyone recommend a (free would be nice, but I doubt this is
possible...!) service or method I can use? I am in the UK and I only want
to send SMS to one mobile phone.

1) Launch your internet browser (e.g. IE, FireFox, Opera, Netscape etc)

2) Navigate to http://www.google.co.uk

3) Enter the text below in the box:

"ASP.NET" SMS UK

4) Hit the button

JJ

Mark,

Many thanks for your reply. I realise most questions can be answered using
that method, but I am acutally looking for recommendations based on my
limited usage requirements rather than a complete list of all such services.

I was hoping someone might have used a cheap reliable solution that they can
recommend.

JJ

John Timney \(MVP\)

Assuming you have your own webserver, you can do it with an old phone, a
cable for the phone - and a gateway like nowsms. Its a very reliable
approach for the scale your on about - however, its not for free. Another
approach is to use the Hayes AT commands if your modem supports them in your
mobile phone, you'll need to resort to trawling the web for examples though.

--
Regards

John Timney (MVP)
VISIT MY WEBSITE:
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

JJ

Dear John,

That sounds just what I was looking for - will look into it.

Thank you very much for your time,

JJ