send SMS in Java/Linux

Pif

Hello,

I would like to create a server that can send SMS on Linux (or
windows). I don't want to pay a provider on the Web and I would like
to use my own mobile phone chip as a "SMS modem".

So do you know if there exist easy solutions to connect, recognise a
mobile phone with the chip to the PC and then control it using Java
API or any tool.
Do you know if there exist box like routers model that can embed my
chip and I could control using network (HTTP, etc.) ?

Thanks a lot.

Robert Kochem

Pif said:
I would like to create a server that can send SMS on Linux (or
windows). I don't want to pay a provider on the Web and I would like
to use my own mobile phone chip as a "SMS modem".

If the used cell phone can be accessed as a modem (via virtual COM-Port)
this schuld be possible:

http://www.developershome.com/sms/howToSendSMSFromPC.asp

I am not sure if the current Java version is capable of using a COM port
out of the box. I remember that there was a COM-support package required
back in Java 1.4 times.

Robert

Lothar Kimmeringer

Pif said:
I would like to create a server that can send SMS on Linux (or
windows). I don't want to pay a provider on the Web and I would like
to use my own mobile phone chip as a "SMS modem".

You still have to pay for sending the SMS via your phone. In
that case you will be billed by the mobile provider you're
SIM-card belongs to.

Regards, Lothar
--
Lothar Kimmeringer E-Mail: (e-mail address removed)

questions!

Arne Vajhøj

I would like to create a server that can send SMS on Linux (or
windows). I don't want to pay a provider on the Web and I would like
to use my own mobile phone chip as a "SMS modem".

Why?

I would expect the price you pay for SMS to be higher than
what an SMS aggregator that buy millions from the telco
pays.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Why?

I would expect the price you pay for SMS to be higher than
what an SMS aggregator that buy millions from the telco
pays.

And SMS aggregator will provide you with a simple HTTP
or SOAP/HTTP or SMTP interface that can be utilized from Java
without third party libraries.

Arne

Tom Anderson

Why?

I would expect the price you pay for SMS to be higher than what an SMS
aggregator that buy millions from the telco pays.

If he already has a contract which gives him an SMS allowance, and his
planned usage is within that allowance and the operator's fair use
restrictions, then the marginal cost of sending messages via the phone is
zero. It's hard to get any cheaper than that.

tom

Arne Vajhøj

If he already has a contract which gives him an SMS allowance, and his
planned usage is within that allowance and the operator's fair use
restrictions, then the marginal cost of sending messages via the phone
is zero. It's hard to get any cheaper than that.

True.

That model will not work for anything large scale.

Be he did not say anything about volume, so you are
correct.

Arne

Alan Gutierrez

Arne said:
True.

That model will not work for anything large scale.

Be he did not say anything about volume, so you are
correct.

I was struck by this exchange, where the intent of the OP is considered
in determining the correct answer. This has been hard for me to find in
the Java world, where it seems you need to first show that you are
advanced enough to ask a question before anyone will answer it. There is
a real anti-intellectual bent in some Java communities, yet this
community is knowledgeable, reasonable and direct. It is, for me, a real
find.

Lothar Kimmeringer

[Why do it this way discussion]
I was struck by this exchange, where the intent of the OP is considered
in determining the correct answer. This has been hard for me to find in
the Java world, where it seems you need to first show that you are
advanced enough to ask a question before anyone will answer it.

Sorry, this is not a free technichal support group where you simply
ask questions and people start working on a solution that 100%
fit the question. There are people out there that also think
for themselves "why is he trying to do it this way, maybe he's
running into the wrong direction".

I consider myself a Java professional and there was more than
one occasion where I asked questions like "Pif"'s and was treated
in the same way. Often enough I ended up with a solution much
more simple than the approach I originally intended.

Problem here is - at it seems to me - that "Pif" doesn't bother
to answer one single question that came back (write only mode),
so nobody is able (or willing) to give answers in more detail.

Regards, Lothar
--

Lothar said:
[...]

Uh...

I was saying that it was admirable that those that responded considered
the OP's parameters in their debate. Probably because their depth of
knowledge allows them to consider peculiar requirements instead of
dismissing them.

So, I don't know why you're leading your response with "Sorry."

Alan Gutierrez

Tom Anderson

I was struck by this exchange, where the intent of the OP is considered
in determining the correct answer. This has been hard for me to find in
the Java world, where it seems you need to first show that you are
advanced enough to ask a question before anyone will answer it. There is
a real anti-intellectual bent in some Java communities, yet this
community is knowledgeable, reasonable and direct. It is, for me, a real
find.

You misunderstand. It's merely that if we understand his purpose more
clearly, we'll be in a better position to ruthlessly destroy him later.

tom