    acted upon by a Perl script? For that matter, can Perl be made TSR so that
    it sits and "listens" for input, such as text from a speech recog software?

    Bigus

    Bigus, Nov 6, 2003

  2. Bigus

    Anno Siegel Guest

    Search the CPAN for "speech". There are a few hits.
    TSR (terminate and stay resident) appears to be a DOS technique to hold
    programs in memory. Perl is a programming language, TSR doesn't apply.

    If the question is whether a Perl program can be made TSR, I don't know.
    You can certainly keep a Perl program running in the background, waiting
    for input from some other program. See "perldoc perlipc" for that.

    Anno

    Anno Siegel, Nov 6, 2003

  3. Bigus

    Bigus Guest

    It never ceases to amaze me the diversity of modules you get on there.. I
    was thinking I would probably (finally) have to attempt to learn C to do my
    latest project, but it seems Perl may well be able to handle all the tasks I
    will need to give it!
    Ouch.. that looks complicated.. but thanks :)

    Bigus

    Bigus, Nov 7, 2003