SqlDataAdapter

Morris Neuman

Hi,

I am trying to implement the solution from the
Walkthrough: Updating Data Using a Database Update Query in Web Forms

In the walkthrough we are requested to drag a SqlConnection object onto the
page from the Data tab of the Toolbox.

I don't see SqlConnection object in my Toolbox Data tab. I right clicked
the Data tab and selected "Choose Items", then clicked on the SqlCommand,
SqlConnection and SqlDataAdapter, then OK, however I still do not see these
objects in my Toolbox.

I then added the following statement to my MasterPage, but still no help.
<%@ Import Namespace="System.Data.SqlClient" %>

Note, I am using a Master page and trying this walkthrough app on the
Contents page.

Can you please tell me how I can have these tools displayed in my toolbox?

I am using .Net 2.0, SQL 2005

Steven Cheng

Hi Morris,

This is a known issue due to a redesign.

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?Feedbac
kID=104995

To use the SqlConnection class we don't have to show it in the Toolbar. We
can write code in the code behind directly. You can refer to the following
documentation to know how to write code:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.sqlclient.sqlconnection.
aspx

BTW, in ASP.NET 2.0, using DataSource control is a recommended way. You can
follow the quickstart to learn how to use them.

http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/doc/ctrlref/data/default.asp

If you need further assistance please feel free to ask.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

Morris Neuman

Thanks for your quick reply.

I will look at the example for the code behind.

I do normally use DataSource control for gridview, detailview, etc.

However I want to perform a database action based on a button_click event
and don't know how to use a datasource control for the click event. Is there
a way to use a datasource for the click event?

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Morris,

The SqlDataSource control has some methods that can help to query database.
We can call them to select, update, insert and delete records. Please check
out the following documentations to learn how to use these methods:

Select:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.sqldatasou
rce.select.aspx

Update:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.sqldatasou
rce.update.aspx

Insert:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.sqldatasou
rce.insert.aspx

Delete:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.sqldatasou
rce.delete.aspx

If you have further questions please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Community Support

Allen Chen [MSFT]