src.jar (src.zip) missing on Mac OSX Java 1.4.1 installation?

Greg Johnson

On my Windoze installation of Java, I can view the source files for
the Java libraries in src.zip. I don't recall having to do a special
install to get this file.
I just ran the Java 1.4.1 update on a system running Mac OSX (10.2.6),
and I cannot locate a src.jar file. Is it named something else on a
Mac installation? Or do I need to download it separate from Sun's
site?
Thanks.

Roedy Green

On my Windoze installation of Java, I can view the source files for
the Java libraries in src.zip. I don't recall having to do a special
install to get this file.
I just ran the Java 1.4.1 update on a system running Mac OSX (10.2.6),
and I cannot locate a src.jar file. Is it named something else on a
Mac installation? Or do I need to download it separate from Sun's

I don't know about Macs, but the name has changed at least once, from
src.jar to src.zip. It lives in c:\j2sdk1.4.2_01
It comes only with the JDK, not the JRE.

rbs

On my Windoze installation of Java, I can view the source files for
the Java libraries in src.zip. I don't recall having to do a special
install to get this file.
I just ran the Java 1.4.1 update on a system running Mac OSX (10.2.6),
and I cannot locate a src.jar file. Is it named something else on a
Mac installation? Or do I need to download it separate from Sun's
site?

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.1/Home/src.jar

Greg Johnson

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.1/Home/src.jar

rbs,
Thanks for the response. That's where I'd expect to see the jar
file....yet it isn't there.
I've checked two different machines, and neither one has the src.jar
file in that location.
(or anywhere else on the machine, either. % find / -name src\.jar
-print
OK, so did you install the JDK from Sun, or did you end up with the
src.jar file after running the 1.4.1 update from Apple? I'm thinking
now that the src.jar file doesn't get installed with the Apple update,
and that I must also install the JDK separately.

rbs

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.1/Home/src.jar

rbs,
Thanks for the response. That's where I'd expect to see the jar
file....yet it isn't there.
I've checked two different machines, and neither one has the src.jar
file in that location.
(or anywhere else on the machine, either. % find / -name src\.jar
-print
OK, so did you install the JDK from Sun, or did you end up with the
src.jar file after running the 1.4.1 update from Apple? I'm thinking
now that the src.jar file doesn't get installed with the Apple update,
and that I must also install the JDK separately.[/QUOTE]

I have downloaded software from Sun at one time or another, but
the Java software in the above directory is not there because of
a Sun download. It is either there because I downloaded an Apple
Java 1.4.1 preview earlier this year or because it is part of the
Panther preview install. I note that the equivalent 1.3.1 Java
software on the same machine is in

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3.1/Home

(And I note in case some were not aware, Mac OS X now allows for
having more than one Java VM on board.)

I do have another Mac which is still running Jaguar but with last
week's Java 1.4.1 update. However, that 2nd Mac is not near by
where I can check installation locations.