Start learning 2.6 or wait for 3.0?

Alan Biddle

I am planning on learning Python, primarily for my own interest,
rather than any immediate need. I am wondering whether I would be
wasting my time to start with the latest 2.6 version which has a lot
of good instructional material, or wait a bit for version 3.0?

Terry Reedy

Alan said:
I am planning on learning Python, primarily for my own interest,
rather than any immediate need. I am wondering whether I would be
wasting my time to start with the latest 2.6 version which has a lot
of good instructional material, or wait a bit for version 3.0?

If you want to use 3rd party modules, I would today consider 2.5.2 (soon
to be 2.5.3) rather that 2.6. In either case, also include object or
other built-in class in the list of base classes for class statements,
and always start with 'from __future__ import division'.

If you are not interested in 3rd party modules, I would consider 3.0
(which will be little different from the current candidate). The main
change relevant to a beginner is the deletion of duplicate or obsolete
features.

Aahz

I am planning on learning Python, primarily for my own interest,
rather than any immediate need. I am wondering whether I would be
wasting my time to start with the latest 2.6 version which has a lot
of good instructional material, or wait a bit for version 3.0?

Few people will be using 3.x for production work for at least a year or
three. Stick with 2.x.