strange behaviour when writing a large amount of data on stdout

Dennis Lee Bieber

If windows has been running a long time (a few days or a week may be long ;-) it
may get fragmented in some smallish memory arena reserved for special things (I forgot
what versions, but I wouldn't be surprised if something still had s specialized limit).
The entire W9x family -- a 64KB space used for keeping various
system pointers... I often had to reboot my old machine just to clean-up
that space.
BTW, if the OP wants to find out how much memory is on the windows system,
the amount of memory probably shows in the "about" window of the task manager

"My Computer"/Properties shows a lot of the base information...