strange error message : unable to find a register to spill in class `AREG'

Evangelista Sami

hello

i have this strange error message that i dont understand :

_search.c: In function `_depth_search':
_search.c:218: unable to find a register to spill in class `AREG'
_search.c:218: this is the insn:
(insn 83 82 84 (parallel [
(set (reg:SI 69)
(div:SI (reg:SI 2 ecx [66])
(reg:SI 1 edx [70])))
(set (reg:SI 1 edx [68])
(mod:SI (reg:SI 2 ecx [66])
(reg:SI 1 edx [70])))
(clobber (reg:CC 17 flags))
]) 272 {*divmodsi4_cltd} (nil)
(expr_list:REG_DEAD (reg:SI 2 ecx [66])
(expr_list:REG_DEAD (reg:SI 1 edx [70])
(expr_list:REG_UNUSED (reg:SI 69)
(expr_list:REG_UNUSED (reg:CC 17 flags)
(nil))))))

line 218 is :

if(!(_states_nb % 100))

declaration of _states_nb is :

int _states_nb;

thanks for any help

Sami

Thomas Matthews

Evangelista said:
[...]

Please post more code. The compiler could be allocating
variables in registers; but we can't tell until you post
the function that these errors come from.

Also, please remove any tabs from your post before you send it.

BTW, identifier names starting with an underscore, '_'
are reserved for the compiler and best avoided.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Ben Pfaff

i have this strange error message that i dont understand :

_search.c: In function `_depth_search':
_search.c:218: unable to find a register to spill in class `AREG'
_search.c:218: this is the insn:

gnu.gcc.help is a better place to ask.

Keith Thompson

i have this strange error message that i dont understand :

_search.c: In function `_depth_search':
_search.c:218: unable to find a register to spill in class `AREG'
_search.c:218: this is the insn:
(insn 83 82 84 (parallel [
(set (reg:SI 69)
(div:SI (reg:SI 2 ecx [66])
(reg:SI 1 edx [70])))
(set (reg:SI 1 edx [68])
(mod:SI (reg:SI 2 ecx [66])
(reg:SI 1 edx [70])))
(clobber (reg:CC 17 flags))
]) 272 {*divmodsi4_cltd} (nil)
(expr_list:REG_DEAD (reg:SI 2 ecx [66])
(expr_list:REG_DEAD (reg:SI 1 edx [70])
(expr_list:REG_UNUSED (reg:SI 69)
(expr_list:REG_UNUSED (reg:CC 17 flags)
(nil))))))

line 218 is :

if(!(_states_nb % 100))

declaration of _states_nb is :

int _states_nb;

This error message isn't telling you about an error in your code, it's
telling you about an internal failure (almost certainly a bug) in the
compiler.

You might be able to work around the compiler bug by re-working your
code, but it's not at all obvious how. You might also try tweaking
command-line options, particularly ones related to optimization. A
Google search for the error message might be fruitful.

I presume you're using gcc.

Upgrading to a newer version, if possible, might or might not help.

See <http://gcc.gnu.org> for information on how to report the bug.
Try to create a minimal self-contained program that exhibits the
problem. (This may be difficult, since it's likely to be triggered by
some level of complexity in the structure of your program.) The exact
version of gcc you're using and the system you're using it on are
likely to be extremely relevant.

It's not a C language issue, so we're not likely to be able to help
you further here.