Stylesheets vs hard coding on a page made with NO font tags, etc.

nigelhilluk

Is it just me, or is this comment I got from a client total rubbish?
Does he know more than me about CSS, or is he talking out of his anus?

"Having also looked at the source code for the current pages, I am less
than impressed. Why bother with style sheets at all if you carry on
hard
coding the formatting of most of the page? "

everything on the page is <h1>, <h2> and <p> - no font tags nothing.
Any clues? Hard coding vs stylesheets!?!?! What??? Is he on about
tables, or is it just some idiot who pays people money to do a job he
thinks he can do himself?

Jonathan N. Little

Is it just me, or is this comment I got from a client total rubbish?
Does he know more than me about CSS, or is he talking out of his anus?

"Having also looked at the source code for the current pages,

Which pages, URL? Let's see and we can judge.

I am less
than impressed. Why bother with style sheets at all if you carry on
hard
coding the formatting of most of the page? "

Maybe, Some folks use stylesheets (sort of) then overly try to manage
with superfluous DIVs, SPANs, classes or layout tables.
everything on the page is <h1>, <h2> and <p> - no font tags nothing.
Any clues? Hard coding vs stylesheets!?!?! What??? Is he on about
tables, or is it just some idiot who pays people money to do a job he
thinks he can do himself?

Stinks of a troll...

Jim Higson

Is it just me, or is this comment I got from a client total rubbish?
Does he know more than me about CSS, or is he talking out of his anus?

"Having also looked at the source code for the current pages, I am less
than impressed. Why bother with style sheets at all if you carry on
hard
coding the formatting of most of the page? "

everything on the page is <h1>, <h2> and <p> - no font tags nothing.
Any clues? Hard coding vs stylesheets!?!?! What??? Is he on about
tables, or is it just some idiot who pays people money to do a job he
thinks he can do himself?

Maybe he means inline CSS.
Who can tell without a URL?

(I like that rhyme!)

Jonathan N. Little

Jim said:
Maybe he means inline CSS.
Who can tell without a URL?

(I like that rhyme!)
Maybe we'll find
his CSS is inline
Who can tell
without a URL

Martin Jay

In message said:
Is it just me, or is this comment I got from a client total rubbish?
Does he know more than me about CSS, or is he talking out of his anus?

"Having also looked at the source code for the current pages, I am less
than impressed. Why bother with style sheets at all if you carry on
hard coding the formatting of most of the page? "

everything on the page is <h1>, <h2> and <p> - no font tags nothing.
Any clues? Hard coding vs stylesheets!?!?! What??? Is he on about
tables, or is it just some idiot who pays people money to do a job he
thinks he can do himself?

Are you using tables for layout or in-line styles?

Or are you giving the pages a fixed width, with 'white-space' at the
side(s)? Perhaps he was expecting a more 'fluid' layout?

It's possible he could have done the job himself. I can clean my own
windows, but that doesn't stop me employing someone else to do it. :)

If I were you I'd ask him to clarify what he means.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, (e-mail address removed) vouchsafed:
Is it just me, or is this comment I got from a client total rubbish?
Does he know more than me about CSS, or is he talking out of his anus?

"Having also looked at the source code for the current pages, I am less
than impressed. Why bother with style sheets at all if you carry on
hard
coding the formatting of most of the page? "

Well, "formatting" to me means layout, so that conclusion is obvious.

This person sounds like someone with just enough knowledge to be dangerous
but not enough to know the right way to do things. Furthermore, his lack
of wisdom and congruent intelligence are reciprocally matched by an ego he
would never be able to substantiate in a production situation, so this is
merely a rather mundane case of "managerial syndrome" which would be best
handled by ignoring it and proceeding as you originally intended.

Neredbojias

This is fun?
You write and think
A poem, a verse
Or something else that rhymes here?

This is fun?
You write and think
A poem, a verse
With lines in sync.

Leonard Blaisdell

Neredbojias said:
This is fun?
You write and think
A poem, a verse
With lines in sync.

and then you know,
a mortal blow,
that what you think
does truly stink.

Present company excepted ;-) Another quatrain, anybody?

leo

Jim Higson

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, Leonard Blaisdell

A scent is relative
To the nose.
My branch of poop
May stem one's rose.

Ah, poster from
Google Groups
Why you post,
then no look?

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind said:
Ah, poster from
Google Groups
Why you post,
then no look?