Subsite or folder?

Jim S

I'm not sure whether this is the group to ask, but I'm sure you will tell
me.
My site below has a folder for the bellringers which can be reached
directly from its own domain. I currently keep it on my own webspace
because it's free as part of my package.
Is there any advantage to be gained, or lost, by converting the folder
which contains 'all things bells' into a subsite?

Jonathan N. Little

Jim said:
I'm not sure whether this is the group to ask, but I'm sure you will tell
me.
My site below has a folder for the bellringers which can be reached
directly from its own domain. I currently keep it on my own webspace
because it's free as part of my package.
Is there any advantage to be gained, or lost, by converting the folder
which contains 'all things bells' into a subsite?

What do you mean by subsite? You mean such as subdomain, foo.example.com?

Jim S

What do you mean by subsite? You mean such as subdomain, foo.example.com?

To tell you the truth I'm not altogether sure, hence the question
I quote from the Microsoft site servicing Expression 4 - which offers the
option to convert a FOLDER to a SUBSITE:

A site can contain one or more subsites. A subsite is a site that is nested
inside another site. A site that contains subsites is called a top-level
site. If you think of a site as a directory containing a set of folders, a
subsite is a subfolder containing a stand-alone site.

Subsites have independent administration, authoring, and browsing
permissions. Therefore, you can display restricted information or
information that is pertinent to only one group of site visitors on a
subsite.

Jim S

Subdomain is what you want.

That leaves me just as ignorant as I was before.
Is it the same as subsite as this is the only option on Expression4?
If it is something different the can you explain it or do I just Google?

Christoph Michael Becker

The OP already has an own domain for the subfolder--why should he want a
subdomain.
That leaves me just as ignorant as I was before.
Is it the same as subsite as this is the only option on Expression4?
If it is something different the can you explain it or do I just Google?

You may consider asking in an Expression4 related support group or forum.

Jonathan N. Little

Subdomain sounds like what your are referring to, but if bellringers has
its own domain I would need no use to make it a subdomain unless

A) You want to stop paying for the bellringers domain name
B) Want to show an association of bellringers to your domain.
C) Don't mind bellringers.jimscott.co.uk

I think you are confusing physical aspects of hosting with domains. You
can host several websites with separate domains from one hosting plan.

www.example1.com with document root /server/user_account/site1
www.example2.com with document root /server/user_account/site2
www.example3.com with document root /server/user_account/site3
The OP already has an own domain for the subfolder--why should he want a
subdomain.

Damn Microsoft, always with their Micro-speak version of terms instead
of using the standard term said:
You may consider asking in an Expression4 related support group or forum.

Agreed

Jim S

At website no
'all things bells'
But I see Christ Church Ringers
it's ok converting that folder

Send me to
www.jamescott.webspace.virginmedia.com

Subdomain of
Level one virginmedia.com < your IP
Level Two is webspace < Free Space
Level Three is jamescott < Client

Broadband and Internet : For Webspace Help

<
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/...TION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=null >

Thanks for all the replies, but I suspect that subsite and subdomain are
not the same thing.
I forgot that there is an expression group. I'm off to post my original
question there.

meagain

Jim said:
Thanks for all the replies, but I suspect that subsite and subdomain are
not the same thing.
I forgot that there is an expression group. I'm off to post my original
question there.

There is a file called ".htaccess" that can be placed in each sub-directory to
control access privileges et cetera. In this way you can create "subsites".
[I'm no expert, so I can't explain further!]

Denis McMahon

Is there any advantage to be gained, or lost, by converting the folder
which contains 'all things bells' into a subsite?

Jim

"subsite" does not seem to be a commonly used and understood term with a
generally accepted meaning. What context is it being used in? By which I
mean what hosting service, provider, web developer, software, book or
salesman is using the term "subsite" to you?

richard

I'm not sure whether this is the group to ask, but I'm sure you will tell
me.
My site below has a folder for the bellringers which can be reached
directly from its own domain. I currently keep it on my own webspace
because it's free as part of my package.
Is there any advantage to be gained, or lost, by converting the folder
which contains 'all things bells' into a subsite?

What you're talking about deals with domain names.
for instance, I have 3 domains all hosted on one service.
I have a master account which is my number one domain.
When I want to post something to one of those domains I use an ftp client.
The diectory lists each domain as a folder.

If you had what is a called a "reseller" account, then each domain would be
accessed directly through its own ftp system.

Subodmains are always just folders within that domain.
The server directs the browser to display as auch.
while your ftp client would simply show it as a folder.

Evan Platt

What you're talking about deals with domain names.
for instance, I have 3 domains all hosted on one service.
I have a master account which is my number one domain.
When I want to post something to one of those domains I use an ftp client.
The diectory lists each domain as a folder.

Maybe that's how YOUR provider does it. Doesn't mean that's the same
everywhere.
If you had what is a called a "reseller" account, then each domain would be
accessed directly through its own ftp system.

Sounds like you don't know what a 'reseller' account is.
Subodmains are always just folders within that domain.

Bullshit.

Let's say you have a domain - example.com .
ftp.example.com can be your ftp server, with the IP 1.2.3.4 . Let's
say you have a computer at your house, you can have your home router
be home.example.com, with an IP 4.5.6.7 . And let's say you have a
server in your office you run mail from, mail.example.com with an IP
of 7.8.9.10. None of these are 'folders within that domain.'
The server directs the browser to display as auch.

No, the browser directs the server of what to display.

Perhaps it's best you not try to explain something you don't know, huh
bullis?

Jonathan N. Little

Evan said:
Maybe that's how YOUR provider does it. Doesn't mean that's the same
everywhere.

Sounds like you don't know what a 'reseller' account is.

Bullshit.

Let's say you have a domain - example.com .
ftp.example.com can be your ftp server, with the IP 1.2.3.4 . Let's
say you have a computer at your house, you can have your home router
be home.example.com, with an IP 4.5.6.7 . And let's say you have a
server in your office you run mail from, mail.example.com with an IP
of 7.8.9.10. None of these are 'folders within that domain.'

In fact the same domain can have parts served from different directors
that are not subdirs of the domains's documant root, or even on a
different physical machines/

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName example.com
DocumentRoot /var/www/mysite

# CGI located physically on another path
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
<Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">

# Images also elsewhere
Alias /images/ "/home/someusers/pictures"

# videos from a different server

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/videos/(.+) http://videoserver.com/vids/$1 [R,L]

The website's routing does not have to be, often is not, bound to the
filesystem's path

richard

Evan said:
[...]

I was merely deffining what the OP was wanting to know about.
Servers can be directed to store information in various ways.
It all depends on the host.

richard

Maybe that's how YOUR provider does it. Doesn't mean that's the same
everywhere.

Sounds like you don't know what a 'reseller' account is.

Bullshit.

Let's say you have a domain - example.com .
ftp.example.com can be your ftp server, with the IP 1.2.3.4 . Let's
say you have a computer at your house, you can have your home router
be home.example.com, with an IP 4.5.6.7 . And let's say you have a
server in your office you run mail from, mail.example.com with an IP
of 7.8.9.10. None of these are 'folders within that domain.'

No, the browser directs the server of what to display.

Perhaps it's best you not try to explain something you don't know, huh
bullis?

Yes evan I do know what a "reseller" account is.
I had one for a couple of years.

Denis McMahon

I was merely deffining what the OP was wanting to know about.
Servers can be directed to store information in various ways.
It all depends on the host.

No you weren't. You don't have the faintest idea that the OP wants to
know about yet. You're making assumptions based on your understanding of
the OPs post, which in turn rests upon your own flawed worldview of how
"the web" works, and then you're spouting your understanding of the OPs
requirements based on your worldview and assumptions.

dorayme

richard said:
Subodmains are always just folders within that domain.
The server directs the browser to display as auch.
while your ftp client would simply show it as a folder.

Unless you have the subdomain as a bookmark in your FTP program; then,
if set up properly, you go straight to a display of the folder's
content.

Evan Platt

I was merely deffining what the OP was wanting to know about.

No, you made a blatant incorrect statement and touted it as fact.
Servers can be directed to store information in various ways.
It all depends on the host.

No, it all depends on the server and the software.

Jim S

What do you mean by subsite? You mean such as subdomain, foo.example.com?

FYI
I've done it and can see no difference except that when I list the folders
in windows, the bells folder/subsite has a blue dot at the bottom of the
yellow icon.

Jonathan N. Little

Jim said:
FYI
I've done it and can see no difference except that when I list the folders
in windows, the bells folder/subsite has a blue dot at the bottom of the
yellow icon.

Then is must be some "Microsoft" thing with no relation to web,
webservers, and shall I say reality?