Subsite or folder?

Jim S

Then is must be some "Microsoft" thing with no relation to web,
webservers, and shall I say reality?

The reason that it appeared to be no different was that it refused to
publish so I guess I might just forget about it.

Jonathan N. Little

Jim said:
The reason that it appeared to be no different was that it refused to
publish so I guess I might just forget about it.

That is why I do not put much faith in these IDEs. So much better to
develop on a local webserver, anything from slapping an old PC with
Linux and Apache to just installing it on your local system. Then just
ftp to the live server when you are satisfied with Filezilla. As simple
as drag and drop from Explorer, or you can setup synchronizeif you are
more ambitious.

se

Jim S said:
The reason that it appeared to be no different was that it refused to
publish so I guess I might just forget about it.

To publish a subsite you must change the name in the publishing
dialog to the name of the subside. Have you done this. And have
you right clicked the folder list of the subsite and checked it
for publish.

se

The reason that it appeared to be no different was that it refused to
publish so I guess I might just forget about it.

Check Include Subsites.
Menu:
Site>Publishing Settings>Incude Subsite

Jim S

Check Include Subsites.
Menu:
Site>Publishing Settings>Incude Subsite

Mm.
Done that now, but cannot see any difference on-line. If I try to edit the
changed folder Expression opens up a new window which only includes the
subfolders.
I cannot see what I might have gained.

se

Jim S said:
Mm.
Done that now, but cannot see any difference on-line. If I try to edit the
changed folder Expression opens up a new window which only includes the
subfolders.
I cannot see what I might have gained.

Yeah..
There IS no difference. The subsite is a fully EW-editor thing, meant
to ease administrative management of two websites. So that you can
have them both in the editor at the same time. The gaining - if any - was
an editor option, only. Read on:

As I understand it:
The folder content in bellringers that you converted to a subsite in
Expression Web editor looks like on the server, in Explorer and in
EW-editor the same. The behaviour can be different, as any links
between the top-level site and the subsite becomes broken when
converted. Before conversion, the folder "bellringers" was part of
your website in the editor. Everything you did - for example recalculation
of hyperlinks, would influence the menu in the folder bellringers. After
conversion, the folder is called a subsite. Everything in it and below, now
belongs to an independent website. And everything of the site not in the
subsite is now called the top-level site. Now, you have 2 sites independent
of each other in the editor at the same time. What you do of edit
in any of these two websites, will not have any influence on the other
(If the menu on the two sites is different, you can recalculate hyperlinks
on
one of these sites without influence or destroy hyperlinks on the other).
Having two independent sites in the editor at the same time, which can be
edited independently of each other without the need of calling the
individual site to the editor is supposed to ease administration management
of the two sites. It is a microsoft thing. The difference is fully
administrative
management and is controlled by the folders "_vti_cnf" and "_vti_pvt".

Whether bellringers is a folder converted in EW-editor to a subsite, or the
folder was not converted to a subsite, you can use the folder bellringers
as a sub-domain, if you want so. Establishing a sub-domain of the
bellringers
folder is done on the server by yourself. Requires no change in
folder-structure
or folder content. whether converted to a subsite or not. I se, it was not
your intention having a subdomain with bellringers.

If the conversion to a subsite in your case had an administrative management
gaining, only you know of. In some instances, there's a gaining. Especielly,
gaining when the folder (converted to a subsite) lays, either, on the same
domain or a subdomain. In other situations not.

When you couldn't publish this converted subsite, all you missed was
probably to check Include Subsites:
Menu:
Site>Publishing Settings>Incude Subsite.

/se

Jim S

[...]

Correct.

Since my 'bells' folder/subsite has its own stylesheet it seems to matter
not whether I use one way or the other.
I'll probably go back to how I had it as I am fairly unlikely to have two
EW windows open at the same time.
Still, thanks to you, I'm wiser than I was :eek:)