Suggestions for learning resources

sebadinoist

Hello,

I am a classic ASP developer and have also coded desktop applications
in VB.NET. I have been using ASP.NET for a while for some simple
administration tools for our Intranet.

I have read a few books in order to get a good understanding of the
ASP.NET controls (Framework 2.0 at the moment) and this has helped me
to create these simple admin websites.

However, I want to get my teeth into ASP.NET properly now and am
finding that I am unsure of the "Correct way to do things in
ASP.NET". For example, I am using Master Pages, separating my content
from code (using code-behind), separating my DB work into a separate
object, using an OO approach etc.

I am finding it difficult to know if I am using the correct ASP.NET
controls though - I seem to find myself using the Repeater object far
too much! Some of the books I have read do have sections on
structuring your site, but I find that too many are using the "<asp:"
controls for database work etc and are not particularly scalable.

I guess what i'd like to know is if anyone can recommend a good
resource (book, website, etc) which gives good professional examples
of how to structure large complicated websites.

Any advice would be very welcome!

Thanks!

Guest

Hello,

Advanced books for further reading on ASP .net 2.0:

Programming ASP.NET 2.0 Core Reference (Paperback)
by D. Esposito (Author)

Programming Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0 Applications: Advanced Topics (Paperback)
by D. Esposito (Author)

About scaling large sites, you should take a look at Web Client Software
Factory:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/07/08/ExtremeASPNET/Default.aspx?

About how to make your site really interactive, take a look at AJAX ASP .net

http://www.asp.net/ajax/

HTH
Braulio

/// ------------------------------
/// Braulio Diez
///
/// http://www.tipsdotnet.com

Guest

Keep your eye on .NET 3.5/VS.NET 2008: based on experience, it will change
the way you implement some very common patterns. Download the betas and get
rolling. For the most part the changes are great.

Try to get a very solid handle on databound controls and using their
templating systems effectively.

-KF