SWT browser in Swing JPanel

Jorge

Hi all,

I am trying to use SWT_AWT bridge to embed the SWT browser in a swing
JPanel.

I am able to do such thing when I embed the SWT shell in a Canvas
within a Frame, but it does not work when I embed the Canvas in a
hierarchy of JPanels.

Here is my example code:

/**********/
import java.awt.BorderLayout;
import java.awt.Canvas;

import javax.swing.JFrame;
import javax.swing.JPanel;

import org.eclipse.swt.SWT;
import org.eclipse.swt.awt.SWT_AWT;
import org.eclipse.swt.browser.Browser;
import org.eclipse.swt.events.SelectionAdapter;
import org.eclipse.swt.events.SelectionEvent;
import org.eclipse.swt.graphics.Color;
import org.eclipse.swt.layout.FormAttachment;
import org.eclipse.swt.layout.FormData;
import org.eclipse.swt.layout.FormLayout;
import org.eclipse.swt.layout.GridData;
import org.eclipse.swt.layout.GridLayout;
import org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Button;
import org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Composite;
import org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display;
import org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell;
import org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Text;

public class BrowserinSwingPanel {

public static void main(String[] a) {
System.setProperty ( "sun.awt.xembedserver", "true" );
JFrame frame = new JFrame("SWING browser"); // java.awt.Frame
JPanel panel = new JPanel();
JPanel panel2 = new JPanel();
JPanel panel3 = new JPanel();
Canvas canvas = new Canvas(); // java.awt.Canvas

panel.add(panel2, BorderLayout.CENTER);
panel2.add(panel3, BorderLayout.CENTER);
panel3.add(canvas, BorderLayout.CENTER);
frame.add (panel, BorderLayout.CENTER );
panel.setBackground ( new java.awt.Color(78978979) );
panel3.setBackground ( new java.awt.Color(453) );
canvas.setBackground ( new java.awt.Color(2134324) );
// invoke the AWT frame rendering by making the frame visible
// This starts the EDT
panel3.setVisible(true);
panel2.setVisible(true);
panel.setVisible ( true );
frame.setVisible(true);
frame.setBounds ( 0, 0, 500, 500 );
canvas.setBounds ( 0,0,400,400 );

final Display display = new Display(); // display object to manage
SWT lifecycle.
final Shell shell = SWT_AWT.new_Shell(display, canvas);

shell.setSize(400, 400);

shell.setLayout(new FormLayout());
shell.setBackground ( new Color(display,255,0,0) );
Composite controls = new Composite(shell, SWT.NONE);
FormData data = new FormData();
data.top = new FormAttachment(0, 0);
data.left = new FormAttachment(0, 0);
data.right = new FormAttachment(100, 0);
controls.setLayoutData(data);

final Browser browser = new Browser(shell, SWT.MOZILLA);
browser.setLayoutData(new GridData(GridData.FILL_BOTH));

data = new FormData();
data.top = new FormAttachment(controls);
data.bottom = new FormAttachment(100, 0);
data.left = new FormAttachment(0, 0);
data.right = new FormAttachment(100, 0);
browser.setLayoutData(data);

controls.setLayout(new GridLayout(6, false));

Button button = new Button(controls, SWT.PUSH);
button.setText("Back");
button.addSelectionListener(new SelectionAdapter() {
public void widgetSelected(SelectionEvent event) {
browser.back();
}
});

button = new Button(controls, SWT.PUSH);
button.setText("Forward");
button.addSelectionListener(new SelectionAdapter() {
public void widgetSelected(SelectionEvent event) {
browser.forward();
}
});

button = new Button(controls, SWT.PUSH);
button.setText("Refresh");
button.addSelectionListener(new SelectionAdapter() {
public void widgetSelected(SelectionEvent event) {
browser.refresh();
}
});

button = new Button(controls, SWT.PUSH);
button.setText("Stop");
button.addSelectionListener(new SelectionAdapter() {
public void widgetSelected(SelectionEvent event) {
browser.stop();
}
});

final Text url = new Text(controls, SWT.BORDER);
url.setLayoutData(new GridData(GridData.FILL_HORIZONTAL));
url.setFocus();

button = new Button(controls, SWT.PUSH);
button.setText("Go");
button.addSelectionListener(new SelectionAdapter() {
public void widgetSelected(SelectionEvent event) {
browser.setUrl(url.getText());
}
});

shell.setDefaultButton(button);

browser.setUrl ( "www.google.com" );

shell.open();
while (!shell.isDisposed()) {
if (!display.readAndDispatch())
display.sleep();
}
display.dispose();

Does anyone know if it is possible? Because the code does not fail,
but the browser is not displayed at all although the Shell is
displayed.

Any ideas would be very appreciated.

Thanks!