System.Net.WebException Request Entity Too Large (not running IIS)

x1x82

When my .NET program makes a Web Service call I get this response...

System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 413:
Request Entity Too Large

1. The server the Web Service is running on is *not* MS IIS
2. The problem does *not* occur if my .NET program and non-IIS server
are running on the same machine.
3. Using a TCP monitoring tool I have confirmed that the exception
occurs *before* the request is actually sent out from my .NET program.

Any ideas?

Feroze [msft]

Hmm, it sounds strange that the problem does not occur when client & server
run on the same box.

can you try to upload the soap request using a non dotnet client from a
different machine than the server, and see if it reproes.

Going by your assertion that the response is sent even before the client
sends the request ( I am assuming here that even before the request headers
are sent, the server has responded) , it seems to me like a server issue.
What server is this ?

feroze.
=========================
this posing is provided as-is.

x1x82

Feroze,

Thanks for the response.

I think I should clarify something. In my original post I said "I get
this response", however, the use of the word "response" is a poor
choice. I do not get a SOAP response as my use of words suggested.

I get a WebException that is thrown from within my .NET client
application before the SOAP request is sent across the wire to the
server. I verified this by watching the wire using the TCP monitoring
tool I mentioned. The monitoring tool shows nothing going to or coming
from the server, which tells me my .NET client application didn't
actually get far enough to make the call.

Hypothetically, I should be able to shutdown my server altogether and
get this error. Since the Web Service call is never actually made. I
will try this tomorrow.
can you try to upload the soap request using a non dotnet client from a
different machine than the server, and see if it reproes.

Sure. I will try tomorrow.
What server is this ?

JBoss Application Server running Apache.

Here is a post from someone a couple of years ago having the same
problem...

http://groups.google.com/groups?q="[email protected]&rnum=1

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

x1x82

Follow Up -

I have verified that...

1. this problem does not occur when using a non .NET client

2. the WebException still occurs when my server is shutdown. Which
further shows that the exception occurs *before* my .NET client sends
the call across the wire, suggesting the exception comes from *within*
my .NET client

Help?

Thanks.

Feroze [msft]

Can you get a sniff and share what the request/response look like ? They
should be from before the exception occured.

It still seems like a server issue to me., but I cant say for sure unless I
see a sniff.

--
feroze

-----------------
This posting is provided as-is. It offers no warranties and assigns no
rights.

See http://weblogs.asp.net/feroze_daud for System.Net related posts.
----------------

"Feroze [msft]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[...]

Using a sniff confirmed that that my .NET client *is* making the Web
Service call, however, the call does *not* get to the server. So, who
is complaining about the large request? Our office proxy server!

Once I configured the proxy server to accept larger requests the
problem went away.

But why was my .NET using our office proxy server? I didn't tell it
to.

Well, .NET applications, by default, use Internet Explorer's LAN
settings. Since my IE is setup to use a proxy server my .NET app. also
used a proxy server...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307220&ID=kb;en-us;Q307220&SD=MSDN

Thanks Feroze.