Http error 413 Request entity too large

Darie Florin

I have a webservice under IIS6/Win2003 Server. When I try to invoke a method
that have a strong type dataset as parameter for update in database I
receive on the client the follwing error: Http error 413 request entity is
too large.
I mention that this dataset is very large (about 1 Mb) and if the client
is on the same machine where the server is running the code is executed
succesfully. If I call the same method with a small dataset (about 256 Kb)
the method is excuted succesfully.
I checked the settings in machine.config file and the atributte for
httpRuntime->maxRequestLength is 4096 Kb.
Another intersted point is that if I have the exception on client and I
stop the IIS and I try to invoke the method i receive the same error code
insted of connection error or somnthing like this error.
Can anyone tell me how to correct this problem and what setting I need to
change to allow the clients app to inoke this web method with large dataset?

Kondratyev Denis

Did u know size or SOAP message? Size of your dataset is 1 mb, but size of
soap message can be more 4096 Kb. For get soap message size create soap
extension which save soap message to file (by override ProcessMessage
method).

Darie Florin

I don't know if this is the problem because I change
httpRuntime->maxRequestLength to 128000 Kb only for test and the same error
code is received on the clients.

Kondratyev Denis

Can u test your solution in IIS 5.1? May be 6.0 come with new features or
bugs?

Darie Florin

Yes, with IIS 5.1 it's working. But at the client we have IIS 6 with Win2003
Server and I have this exception. Curriously, but the exception is not rised
when I try to reproduce the same case on another IIS6/Win2003 Server
machine.

Kondratyev Denis

Try uninstall and install asp.net with aspnet_regiis.exe. One time i have
problem with .net remoting hosted in IIS and reinstalation is help me.

Darie Florin

I have tried the following solutions but no one solves me:
1. increese maxRequestLength in machine.config file.
2. reinstall asp.net
3. increese limit upload size in IIS -> cscript adsutil.vbs SET
W3SVC/1/Root/Upload/UploadReadAheadSize 128000

I don't understand why the the method it's work fine when the client is on
the same machine with the server and IIS.

Kondratyev Denis

:-( Well, can u make small test web service for send big dateset from
Northwind db for instance? If it throw 413 error in this computer too - this
computer have bug (reinstall iis or os or install service packs or dance
around computer with voo doo drum ;-) ) If test service will be work good -
something wrong with service.
I cant think up something better :-(
Try send message somebody from msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/

Darie Florin

Of course voodoo is a solution but the client is a bank and I don't
think that they will accept this solution :)

Martin

I have run into a similar problem, but with a twist - I recieve the same
error only when I require a Client Certificate at the IIS level.

When I choose to ignore client certs everything works great (even though
clients still send them) for small as well as large datasets.

I have also increased the max request to some huge amount, but it did not
help.

I should mention that I am sending the data in form of a DIME attachment.

Any ideas?

Chris

Hi,
Try reinstalling IIS. Also you can try removing the urlscan from iis and make a try.

Thanks

mike mo money

Martin...

Hope you will read this one.

Did you solve the problem because i am faceing the sam problem. Could u
help me out if you did..

Thanx in advance,

Mike