The Best way to make my game multiplayer

Diego Bernardes

Hi guys, i have done a game in ruby using gosu, its a side scrolling
game, i want to make it multiplayer, well, i hope make it a mmorpg some
day, so, now im caring about the network, need be something safe but
consume low bandwidth as possible because of the server.

I dont have any exp doing this, can anyone post web with the basics or a
tuto or something to give me a start XD?

What is best to work? UDP? TCP? Can i use DRb?

thxx alot :)

Eleanor McHugh

Hi guys, i have done a game in ruby using gosu, its a side scrolling
game, i want to make it multiplayer, well, i hope make it a mmorpg
some
day, so, now im caring about the network, need be something safe but
consume low bandwidth as possible because of the server.

I dont have any exp doing this, can anyone post web with the basics
or a
tuto or something to give me a start XD?

What is best to work? UDP? TCP? Can i use DRb?

You have two sets of considerations: gameplay and network utilisation.

The gameplay concern is about making sure that one or more players
aren't cheating so you will probably want to encrypt your traffic.
Take a look at the Ruby OpenSSL library.

If you're looking at rolling your own protocol I'd recommend doing it
on top of RUDP as this is more efficient than TCP/IP with lower
latencies, or if you can afford to lose packets go for UDP.

Another attractive option would be to use the Rinda library which is
built on top of DRb as that will make your code very simple to follow,
but if I remember rightly DRb runs over TCP/IP so you may take a
performance hit.

For a very simple example of using OpenSSL encryption as part of a
client-server application in Ruby take a look at the code portions of
my Semantic Networks presentation at http://slides.games-with-brains.net/

Arlen Cuss

The gameplay concern is about making sure that one or more players
aren't cheating so you will probably want to encrypt your traffic.
Take a look at the Ruby OpenSSL library.

If I'm not mistaken, encrypting traffic isn't likely to prevent cheating, is
it? Any player could modify the source.

Arlen

Diego Bernardes

Arlen said:
Hi,

The gameplay concern is about making sure that one or more players

If I'm not mistaken, encrypting traffic isn't likely to prevent
cheating, is
it? Any player could modify the source.

Arlen

yea, its to prevent hacking.

Ellie, thx alot, you helped alot :)

Hmm, the last question, there is any RUDP library to ruby? if not, im
gonna try to make one :)
About the speed, im making it a 2d sidescroller so i think at least in
the client dont gonna have any speed problem, about the server i dont
know, only the time gonna say XD

Eleanor McHugh

Hi,

The gameplay concern is about making sure that one or more players

If I'm not mistaken, encrypting traffic isn't likely to prevent
cheating, is
it? Any player could modify the source.

By itself no, and arguably with programs in Ruby where the source code
is automatically available to all players then any one of them can
change it. However whatever measures are taken in the game engine to
prevent cheating are likely to involve including data calculated at
runtime in the protocol and as sniffing protocols is trivial it's a
good idea to encrypt the traffic.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains

Eleanor McHugh

yea, its to prevent hacking.

Ellie, thx alot, you helped alot :)

Hmm, the last question, there is any RUDP library to ruby? if not, im
gonna try to make one :)
About the speed, im making it a 2d sidescroller so i think at least in
the client dont gonna have any speed problem, about the server i dont
know, only the time gonna say XD

There isn't an RUDP library as such, but if you look at the bit-struct
library you'll find examples of how to roll your own protocols and
then it's a question of opening a raw packet socket. Details of that
vary from platform to platform. You'll get best performance by
implementing RUDP as a C extension, which should be similar to the
standard library's UDP and TCP/IP libraries.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains