The old-fashioned guestbook

Tuxedo

I'm looking for a guestbook application, ideally in Perl, free or at a cost.

I don't need a huge framework that happens to include guestbook
functionality. Instead, I prefer a stand-alone, tried and tested, secure
and simple low-calorie application that runs on Unix.

Since the guestbook is one of the early website applications that came into
existence, there must be many good as well as bad off-the-shelf programs.

Any specific recommendations based on experience would be greatly
appreciated.

Many thanks,
Tuxedo

Scott Bryce

I'm looking for a guestbook application, ideally in Perl, free or at
a cost.

Are the NMS scripts still considered secure? According to the site, the
last update to the guestbook script was made Feb 2006.

Tuxedo

Scott said:
Are the NMS scripts still considered secure? According to the site, the
last update to the guestbook script was made Feb 2006.

As far as I can remember, Matt Wright's scripts were frequently reported as
insecure, I guess because the archive was one of the first of its kind.
Nevertheless, I will check to see if it's still current
http://www.scriptarchive.com/download.cgi?s=guestbook&c=txt&f=README
http://www.scriptarchive.com/readme/guestbook.html#bugs

"Created 4/21/95"

It qualifies for old-fashioned, although I have a feeling this script is
not going to be of much use.

Tuxedo

Uri Guttman

T> As far as I can remember, Matt Wright's scripts were frequently
T> reported as insecure, I guess because the archive was one of the
T> first of its kind. Nevertheless, I will check to see if it's still
T> current
T> http://www.scriptarchive.com/download.cgi?s=guestbook&c=txt&f=README
T> http://www.scriptarchive.com/readme/guestbook.html#bugs

T> It qualifies for old-fashioned, although I have a feeling this script is
T> not going to be of much use.

you are confusing the original matt's scripts with the NMS
collection. NMS (originally named Not Matt's Scripts) are complete
rewrites using cgi.pm and not full of holes. they are drop in
replacements for matt's piles of stinking turd scripts. even matt has
said to use NMS over his old code. and yet there are still matt's stuff
running out there due to the name and search engine hits.

uri

Tuxedo

Uri Guttman wrote:

[...]
you are confusing the original matt's scripts with the NMS
collection. NMS (originally named Not Matt's Scripts) are complete
rewrites using cgi.pm and not full of holes. they are drop in
replacements for matt's piles of stinking turd scripts. even matt has
said to use NMS over his old code. and yet there are still matt's stuff
running out there due to the name and search engine hits.

uri

Many thanks for the clarification!

Tuxedo