The state of pySerial

Ma Xiaojun

Hi, all.

pySerial is probably "the solution" for serial port programming.
Physical serial port is dead on PC but USB-to-Serial give it a second
life. Serial port stuff won't interest end users at all. But it is
still used in the EE world and so on. Arduino uses it to upload
programs. Sensors may use serial port to communicate with PC. GSM
Modem also uses serial port to communicate with PC.

Unforunately, pySerial project doesn't seem to have a good state. I
find pySerial + Python 3.3 broken on my machine (Python 2.7 is OK) .
There are unanswered outstanding bugs, PyPI page has 2.6 while SF
homepage still gives 2.5.

Any idea?

Grant Edwards

pySerial is probably "the solution" for serial port programming.
Physical serial port is dead on PC but USB-to-Serial give it a second
life. Serial port stuff won't interest end users at all. But it is
still used in the EE world and so on. Arduino uses it to upload
programs. Sensors may use serial port to communicate with PC. GSM
Modem also uses serial port to communicate with PC.

Unforunately, pySerial project doesn't seem to have a good state. I
find pySerial + Python 3.3 broken on my machine (Python 2.7 is OK) .
There are unanswered outstanding bugs, PyPI page has 2.6 while SF
homepage still gives 2.5.

Any idea?

Volunteer as a maintainer and start fixing bugs?

I use pyserial regularly, and the current version works fine for me,
but I'm using Python 2.7. There are still too many libraries that
don't support 3.x for me to consider using 3.x for real work.

Terry Jan Reedy

Volunteer as a maintainer and start fixing bugs?

It seems to be getting around 200 downloands a day. Quite worth someone
supporting it.
I use pyserial regularly, and the current version works fine for me,
but I'm using Python 2.7. There are still too many libraries that
don't support 3.x for me to consider using 3.x for real work.

The only download is a .exe. It it just the executable binary or is that
a zip unpacker with source?

Grant Edwards

It seems to be getting around 200 downloands a day. Quite worth
someone supporting it.

Chris has a day job, just like the rest of us. He might even have a
family and hobbies other than supporting pyserial. ;)

Everybody should feel free to submit patches for open bugs and to test
any patches waiting to be accepted.

http://pyserial.sourceforge.net/pyserial.html#from-source-tar-gz-or-checkout

https://pypi.python.org/packages/so...6.tar.gz#md5=cde799970b7c1ce1f7d6e9ceebe64c98