This is a wrong code.I just want to know how it affect the compiler,becausethe error message is quit

Êé´ôÅí

today I forgot to include some header,then I found the error message by the compiler is quite strange.

so I want to know exactly the inner details of the compiler impletation,if possible.

and I want to know what does the standard say about this situation.

here is the code just to demonstrate the error.

int main()
{
new int; // this is OK
new someClass; // yeah,I know this is wrong because someClass is not declared.

return 0;
}

the Visual C++ 6.0 compiler said:

D:\test1\test1.cpp(12) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'someClass'
D:\test1\test1.cpp(15) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '}'
D:\test1\test1.cpp(15) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '}'
D:\test1\test1.cpp(15) : fatal error C1003: error count exceeds 100; stopping compilation

where the "..." represent 97 messages of "error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '}' "

so I guess something made the compiler drop into a infinitive recursion .

but I dont know why.

please tell me if you just know the reason.

if you dont have time,just ignore this.

thanks very much.

Erik Wikström

[...]

Because VC++ 6 is old and buggy and I would not use unless I had no
other choice. A more recent version of the compiler only emits one error
message.

书呆彭

Erik Wikström 写é“:
Because VC++ 6 is old and buggy and I would not use unless I had no
other choice. A more recent version of the compiler only emits one error
message.

Then is that message " error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '}' "

Erik Wikström

Erik Wikström 写é“:

Then is that message " error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '}' "

As a rule, you can only trust the first error message a compiler (any
compiler) emits, all after might be the result of the compiler being
thrown of by the first error.

书呆彭

Erik Wikström 写é“:
As a rule, you can only trust the first error message a compiler (any
compiler) emits, all after might be the result of the compiler being
thrown of by the first error.

I very appreciate your help.
I got it.
Thank you again.

Juha Nieminen

Erik said:
As a rule, you can only trust the first error message a compiler (any
compiler) emits, all after might be the result of the compiler being
thrown of by the first error.

Which raises the question: Why do compilers bother with the rest of
the errors? Why not just stop with the first error?

Erik Wikström

Which raises the question: Why do compilers bother with the rest of
the errors? Why not just stop with the first error?

Because sometimes they are reliable and fixing more than one error
between recompiles is nice. After using a compiler for some time you can
generally tell which errors are due to earlier errors and which are
genuine errors.

James Kanze

Which raises the question: Why do compilers bother with the
rest of the errors? Why not just stop with the first error?
[/QUOTE]

Would you use such a compiler?
Because sometimes they are reliable and fixing more than one
error between recompiles is nice. After using a compiler for
some time you can generally tell which errors are due to
earlier errors and which are genuine errors.

Resynchronizing after an error is one of the most difficult
things in compiler construction; you want to absorb (and throw
out) enough input to avoid follow-up errors, but you don't want
to miss any real errors after the detected error. In this case,
the compiler was obviously not throwing out enough, keeping both
the partially parsed new expression, and the next token. In the
end, the only thing that stopped it was a hard wired maximum
number of errors. (Most compilers do this as well, as a safety
net. After all, what's the use of going on if the actual error
was that you fed an Ada program to the C++ compiler?)