Three tier web model?

Filippo Portera

In the classical three tier model for web applications there are a web
browser, an application server and a DB.
I wonder if it is possible to bypass the application server altogether
by writing a jdbc driver (Chrome supports WebSockets) that connects
directly to the database.
This will speed up the conversation between the browser and the DB.
If you have any suggestion please write to: (e-mail address removed)

Richard Damon

In the classical three tier model for web applications there are a web
browser, an application server and a DB.
I wonder if it is possible to bypass the application server altogether
by writing a jdbc driver (Chrome supports WebSockets) that connects
directly to the database.
This will speed up the conversation between the browser and the DB.
If you have any suggestion please write to: (e-mail address removed)

The big issue here is security. If the client side code has all the
access information to access the database, a malicious user can reverse
engineer this code and corrupt the database. The application server
layer is what provides access control/security.

Remember the cardinal rule of web development, NEVER totally trust data
from the user, but verify, verify, and verify. This needs to be on the
application server layer.