Tricky frames Question? Might never have been done!

moon

Wondering if this is possible?

Situation:
I have a frameset with a few frames in it that loads side graphics,
main navigation, subnavigation and content. Everything works fine.
Now, I decided to add a gateway index page with buttons that lead to a
specific page within the frameset. ie. aboutus, contact,
products,etc... The buttons work but it obviously does not load the
whole frameset with the specific page in it. It just loads the page.

In other words I want to load a specific page into a frame within a
frameset from outside the whole frameset site. So, I want to load the
frameset, frame and the specific page.

moon
(e-mail address removed)

David Dorward

moon said:
I have a frameset with a few frames in it that loads side graphics,
main navigation, subnavigation and content. Everything works fine.

Really? Given that they are frames that is very odd.

http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/www/frames/
Now, I decided to add a gateway index page with buttons that lead to a
specific page within the frameset. ie. aboutus, contact,
products,etc... The buttons work but it obviously does not load the
whole frameset with the specific page in it. It just loads the page.
Obviously

In other words I want to load a specific page into a frame within a
frameset from outside the whole frameset site. So, I want to load the
frameset, frame and the specific page.

Best option: Ditch Frames

Next best option:
(1) Create a frameset page (with GREAT <noframes> content) for every
combination of pages to be viewed.
(2) Make all links point to a frameset page with target="_top"
(3) Use robots.txt to ask search engines to index only the frameset pages
(to ignore orphan pages)

The rubbish solution that doesn't work well with search engines:
(1) Link to frameset.htm?page=foo
(2) Use JavaScript (in the onload event of the frameset) to change the
document.location of specific frames depending on the value of page.
(3) Confuse the whatsits about of any visitors you get who do not have
JavaScript enabled.