Trying to install IIS 7 app on IIS 8

David Thielen

This app works fine on IIS 7 on WIndows 2003. On IIS 8/Windows 2008
I'm getting the below error. One note, the DLL listed is written in
J#.

Any ideas?

thanks - dave

Server Error in '/apps' Application.

Could not load file or assembly 'Apache.Crimson' or one of its
dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect
format.

Exception Details: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file
or assembly 'Apache.Crimson' or one of its dependencies. An attempt
was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly
'Apache.Crimson' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to
load a program with an incorrect format.]
System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String
codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint,
StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean
forIntrospection) +0
System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef,
Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
forIntrospection) +465
System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString,
Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
forIntrospection) +181
System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString) +42

System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String
assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +190

[ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not load file or assembly
'Apache.Crimson' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to
load a program with an incorrect format.]

System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String
assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +3642952

System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAllAssembliesFromAppDomainBinDirectory()
+402

System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssembly(AssemblyInfo
ai) +155
System.Web.Configuration.AssemblyInfo.get_AssemblyInternal() +36

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetReferencedAssemblies(CompilationSection
compConfig) +235
System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler..ctor(VirtualPath
configPath, Boolean supportLocalization, String outputAssemblyName)
+76

System.Web.Compilation.CodeDirectoryCompiler.GetCodeDirectoryAssembly(VirtualPath
virtualDir, CodeDirectoryType dirType, String assemblyName, StringSet
excludedSubdirectories, Boolean isDirectoryAllowed) +2945079

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileCodeDirectory(VirtualPath
virtualDir, CodeDirectoryType dirType, String assemblyName, StringSet
excludedSubdirectories) +204
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileCodeDirectories() +615
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled()
+739

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly
'Apache.Crimson' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to
load a program with an incorrect format.]

System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.ReportTopLevelCompilationException()
+79
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled()
+2944472
System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager
appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory
configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters)
+1163

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly
'Apache.Crimson' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to
load a program with an incorrect format.]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context)
+2740375
System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context)
+88

System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest
wr, HttpContext context) +2739988

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1434;
ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1434

david@[email protected]
Windward Reports -- http://www.WindwardReports.com
me -- http://dave.thielen.com

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Dave,

From the error message you provided, it report an assembly loading failure.
As you said, the "Apache.Crimson" assembly is compiled via J#, correct?

Is it an add-on module (since its name indicate that it migrate a feature
from Apache to IIS) and is it used as HttpModule or something else that is
configured via web.config file?

Also, how did you deploy this "Apache.Crimson" assembly on the real
machine, in the application's private "bin" dir or installed it into GAC?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

--------------------
From: David Thielen <[email protected]>
Subject: Trying to install IIS 7 app on IIS 8
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:29:41 -0600
Any ideas?

[...]

Have you got any progress on this issue?

Please feel free to let me know if there is anything else we can help.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng [MSFT])
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 03:39:06 GMT
Subject: RE: Trying to install IIS 7 app on IIS 8