Trying to start an application

Kenneth

Hi,

I've upgraded to .NET 2003 and I opened an .NET 2002 app
and let the new IDE convert it to .NET 2003 project.

Then I tried to start the application but it keeps on
saying "Error while trying to run project. Unable to start
debugging on the web server. The project is not configured
to be debugged. Click Help for more information".

I click Help and in web.config I have debug="true", but it
also says that the debug verb should be associated
with .aspx. But you can't see any example on that in the
help section how to accomplish the debug verb.

Anyone that can help me start an application?

TIA

/Kenneth

Jim Cheshire

Kenneth,

I doubt that DEBUG is not mapped to ASPX, but you can check that by
right-clicking your application in IIS, clicking properties, clicking the
Home Directory tab (or Directory if it's the root site), clicking the
Configuration button, and making sure that DEBUG appears in the list of
verbs for ASPX.

It is also possible that your execute permissions are not set to Scripts
Only. You'll want to check that as well.

Hope that helps.

Jim Cheshire
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

Kenneth

Jim,

The Configuration button is disabled, so I can't check
that. By right-clicking my app in IIS, do you mean that I
right-click the directory where the app resides or what do
you mean?

My execute permissions are set to Scripts only.

/Kenneth

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Kenneth,

If the Configuration button is disabled, it means that you haven't set that
folder as an app root.

Jim Cheshire
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

Kenneth

Jim,

I guess I should do things in a certain order, should I?

First create a new website in IIS, then create a new
project in VS.NET that points to the newly cretaed website?

/Kenneth

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Kenneth,

It depends. If you want to create a new Web site (a new virtual server)
and create a new application at the root of that Web site, you can
certainly do that. You just need to make sure that on the Directory tab,
the application is created. When it is, the button at the bottom will say
"Remove". If the button says "Create", you need to click it to create the
app root.

When you create a new ASP.NET application from VS.NET, if the FrontPage
Server Extensions are on the Web server, they will be used to create the
new application, set the app root, and set the executable bit, regardless
of what you are using for Web Access Mode in VS.NET. If the Server
Extensions are not there, we will use ADSI calls from VS.NET to do the same
thing. In both cases, the app root should be set.

Jim Cheshire
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)