Unable to connect to SQL Server database

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by James, Oct 4, 2006.

  1. James

    James Guest

    Hello

    I am new to ASP and I am using ASP.Net Visual Web Developer Express Edition.

    I have been following 'How To' videos online and I am currently trying to
    add Login forms.

    When I first go to add a Role, by clicking on the ASP.Net Configuration
    button, then select Security like it shows me in the video, it waits for a
    long time then comes up with:

    There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an
    invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can
    also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the
    button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data
    store.

    The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: Unable to connect
    to SQL Server database.

    Can anyone shed some light on to why this is happening as I cannot find
    anything about it anywhere.

    Many thanks

    James

    James, Oct 4, 2006

  2. James

    James Guest

    Hi

    THanks for your post,

    Sorry but I do not understand, connection to what? I am just following the
    How To videos from Microsoft. Is there something I should do first?

    James

    James, Oct 5, 2006

  3. James u can use Windows Auth by going to IIS right clcik on the website >
    Directory settings>Edit> Disable Anonymous Access > Enalble Integrated
    security
    Use one of this connections below
    Trusted Connection:

    "Data Source=Aron1;Initial Catalog=pubs;Integrated Security=SSPI;"
    - or -
    "Server=Aron1;Database=pubs;Trusted_Connection=True;"

    Now it will use your "MachineName/ASPNET" to connect..
    Go to SQLserver logins and add "MachineName/ASPNET" acct.
    Go to ur table ,database etc.. and give the acct the required permission.
    Hope that helps
    Patrick

    Patrick.O.Ige, Oct 6, 2006
  4. James

    James Guest

    Hi

    thanks for your replies. I actualy found the answer, I needed to download
    and install a SQL Server Component, I went to add a SQL Database and it gave
    me a link to the download.

    Now it works fine

    Many thanks

    James