Unable to read the project file...

sello

A solution to many unresolved posts I've seen. Hope this helps...

Background.
I have a visual studio 2003 solution with several projects including
one asp.net project.

After moving things around on the hard drive and trying to open the
solution I get.

"Unable to read the project file ???.vbproj'. The system cannot find
the path specified."

Thats the web project :(

I can remove the project and re-add it ok but once I save my solution
and reopen I get the above message.

If I try and open it from the web http://localhost.. the file open box
refuses to display any files event though the web site is accessible
from IE and from IIS.

I can add the web project to a new solution and there are no problems
when the new solution is reopened.

Solution:
There is a file that contains the visual studio settings for the
solution. Not sure what it holds. Things like startup project, page.

If the solution is called mysolution.sln then the file is
mysolution.suo. It is a hidden file so you will need to turn on the
display of hidden files in windows explorer or use dos.

Delete it and all will be fine. VS will create a new one.
Make a backup of the whole directory if it makes you more comfortable.