URGENT Getting null reference errors on 404??

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by David Lozzi, Feb 1, 2007.

  1. David Lozzi

    David Lozzi Guest

    Hello there,

    I'm getting the following error

    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an
    object.

    at shopping_bag.GetBagTotals()

    which then causes this following error which stops the application pool my
    web application is running on

    EventType clr20r3, P1 w3wp.exe, P2 6.0.3790.1830, P3 42435be1, P4 app_code,
    P5 1.0.2587.41853, P6 45c1694a, P7 a6, P8 0, P9
    system.nullreferenceexception, P10 NIL.

    The GetBagTotals does not have a null reference in it from what I can see. I
    only get this error when a visitor hits a page that is non existent, for
    example www.domain.com/otherpage.aspx. (recently updated the site so a lot
    of pages are no longer there). When these pages are hit I get the following:

    Explanation: The Web server connection was closed.

    a.. Error Code 64: Host not available
    b.. Background: The connection to the Web server was lost.

    And the two errors listed above. I have the 404, 404;2,404;3 in IIS set to
    go to an aspx page which works great if someone goes to an .html page that
    is no longer available. Weird eh?

    So if a user tries to visit a page that is no longer available and it ends
    in aspx, they don't get a 404 error, they get what is displayed above and
    then a null reference error occurs. If a user tries to visit a page that
    ends in .html they get the correct 404 error page and no null errors.

    Any ideas why aspx pages are not responding to a 404?

    Thanks,

    David Lozzi

    David Lozzi, Feb 1, 2007