URGENT Getting null reference errors on 404??

David Lozzi

Hello there,

I'm getting the following error

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an
object.

at shopping_bag.GetBagTotals()

which then causes this following error which stops the application pool my
web application is running on

EventType clr20r3, P1 w3wp.exe, P2 6.0.3790.1830, P3 42435be1, P4 app_code,
P5 1.0.2587.41853, P6 45c1694a, P7 a6, P8 0, P9
system.nullreferenceexception, P10 NIL.

The GetBagTotals does not have a null reference in it from what I can see. I
only get this error when a visitor hits a page that is non existent, for
example www.domain.com/otherpage.aspx. (recently updated the site so a lot
of pages are no longer there). When these pages are hit I get the following:

Explanation: The Web server connection was closed.

a.. Error Code 64: Host not available
b.. Background: The connection to the Web server was lost.

And the two errors listed above. I have the 404, 404;2,404;3 in IIS set to
go to an aspx page which works great if someone goes to an .html page that
is no longer available. Weird eh?

So if a user tries to visit a page that is no longer available and it ends
in aspx, they don't get a 404 error, they get what is displayed above and
then a null reference error occurs. If a user tries to visit a page that
ends in .html they get the correct 404 error page and no null errors.

Any ideas why aspx pages are not responding to a 404?

Thanks,

David Lozzi