Urgent: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the ser

VB Programmer

When I run my ASP.NET 2.0 web app on my dev machine it works perfect. When
I precomile it to my web deployment project and then copy the debug files to
my web server I get this problem when trying to login (obviously it's using
ASPNETDB.mdf). Any ideas?

Server Error in '/' Application.

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the
operation or the server is not responding.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The
timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is
not responding.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed
prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.]
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException
exception, Boolean breakConnection) +684835
System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject
stateObj) +207
System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner,
Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String
protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean
encrypt, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean
aliasLookup) +890
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection
owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword,
Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +601
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(SqlConnectionString
connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection
owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +159
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions
options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection
owningConnection) +108
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection
owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +28
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection
owningObject) +445
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection
owningObject) +66
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection
owningObject) +304
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection
owningConnection) +85
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection
outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHolder.Open(HttpContext context,
Boolean revertImpersonate) +126
System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConnection(String
connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation) +239
System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.GetPasswordWithFormat(String
username, Int32& status, String& password, Int32& passwordFormat, String&
passwordSalt, Int32& failedPasswordAttemptCount, Int32&
failedPasswordAnswerAttemptCount, Boolean& isApproved) +815
System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username,
String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean
failIfNotApproved, String& salt, Int32& passwordFormat) +80
System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username,
String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean
failIfNotApproved) +42
System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.ValidateUser(String username,
String password) +78
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnAuthenticate(AuthenticateEventArgs e)
+161
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin() +94
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e)
+101
System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +35
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +115
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
+134
eventArgument) +7
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5670

john smith

VB said:
[...]

Sounds like it can't connect to the database. Are you sure it has
connectivity, that the server is up and running fine, and that the
connection string/configuration is good and all?

VB Programmer

The webserver is up and running because I have several sites running on
there.

Here is my connectionstring...
<connectionStrings>
<add name="MyMainDatabase" connectionString="Data
Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\ASPNETDB.MDF;Integrated
Security=True;User Instance=True"
providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
</connectionStrings>

It's the same as on my dev machine which works perfectly. Any idea?
Thanks!

john smith said:
VB said:
[...]

+33
+5670
Sounds like it can't connect to the database. Are you sure it has
connectivity, that the server is up and running fine, and that the
connection string/configuration is good and all?

VB Programmer

My hosting company states that they do not support SQL Express, but they
said they would setup a SQL 2005 database.

Does this make sense? What do they need to install for me to use the SQL
Express MDF?

john smith said:
VB said:
[...]

bunty

hi!
add "connection timeout=60;" where 60 is time in minutes. add this
string in connection string of sqlcommand (ado.net)

bunty

john smith said:
VB Programmer wrote:
[...]

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50215.44;
ASP.NET Version:2.0.50215.44