Use session variables or store in database?

eselk

I'm new to ASP. If I store information in these handy "session
variables" am I going to run into many limitations that I wouldn't have
it I added a database record for each session instead? For example, if
I use session variables, can I have an admin utility that lets me see a
list and/or count of all open sessions? Or would I be able to keep the
same user from starting multiple sessions if I wanted (by comparing the
log-in name which my web-site requires)? I know if I create a record
for each open session that I can do all kinds of fun stuff like reports
and queries, but not sure if I'll have all of those options with these
built in ASP session variables (which I imagine ASP stores in memory or
some non-standard format).

p.s.-I'm using ASP (not ASP.NET) with VBScript (I hate VB syntax but
that is what everyone seems to use).

Bob Barrows [MVP]

I'm new to ASP. If I store information in these handy "session
variables" am I going to run into many limitations that I wouldn't
have it I added a database record for each session instead? For
example, if I use session variables, can I have an admin utility that
lets me see a list and/or count of all open sessions?
No

Or would I be
able to keep the same user from starting multiple sessions if I
wanted (by comparing the log-in name which my web-site requires)?
No

know if I create a record for each open session that I can do all
kinds of fun stuff like reports and queries, but not sure if I'll
have all of those options with these built in ASP session variables
(which I imagine ASP stores in memory or some non-standard format).

You need a database. Look at:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2491
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2078
p.s.-I'm using ASP (not ASP.NET) with VBScript (I hate VB syntax but
that is what everyone seems to use).

Not everyone. A few people on this list use jscript exclusively. Nothing
says you have to use vbscript.

Bob Barrows

eselk

Wow, thanks for the super fast reply! I'll check out those links, and
also look over the rest of the FAQ.